other browsers not picking up text-align: center

deejaybet

Hmm... My guess is that you use text-align: center in for example your body tag, to center a page? The way to center for example a div isn't to put text-align: center in the containing element. Instead, put in the (in this example) div:margin: auto;It's IE that uses the text-align: center wrongly. As it implies, it is to be used for text, and text only. Non-formatted, raw text.

ok you have just onfused me lol... the site works perfectly as it should in IE.. centered were is shoudl etc... but if i view it on other browsers say for example firefox... the site has some elements... mainly text aligned correctly but the page(s) go to the default setting (left side)

Ok, put it like this:

STYLESHEETbody {text-align: center}HTML<body><div>Text here...</div></body>

That code will display a div in the center of the page, but only in IE, because the propertytext-align: center;is only meant to work on raw text within an element. Like if you had put text-align: center in a div { } in your css, it would display the text in the div centered within the div. To make elements align, you're actually not supposed to give the container element, in this case <body>, a value of text-align: center, but rather give the element itself a margin. But, for it to work in IE again, you need both... :)

STYLESHEETbody {text-align: center;}div {margin: auto;}HTML<body><div>Text here...</div></body>

That will work for all browsers, standards-compliant ones as well as IE.I could have just told you to put margin: auto in your css within the element you wanted to center, but I felt like explaining why text-align: center on elements only works in IE... :)

margin: auto sets the same margin on the left and right side of the element, so yeah, it will display centered. IE needs body {text-align: center} to align the text centered. But margin: auto is the way it's supposed to be done. Microsoft just hasn't caught up with that yet.

No.body {margin: 0px;}will make your body stretch to the full browserwindow. It has nothing to do with displaying the other stuff.div {margin: auto;}p {margin: auto;}table, tr, td {margin: auto;}whatever {margin: auto;}does not interfere with your body's margins...