.htm vs .htm

crud3w4re

I read somewhere that file names ending in .html are better for search engines, do you think this is true? I mean, when you're using HTML of course, that there really isn't any reason to continue making filenames ".htm" Does anyone do this? It was just something I read about, search engines like ".html" not sure if it's fact or fiction though.

What's the difference between using HTM vs HTML? Is there a reason to use .htm over .html? Most servers are set to display a default page when someone points a browser to a directory rather than a filename. For instance, if you go http://allmyfaqs.net/ (no specific filename), the server will show you http://allmyfaqs.net/index.html. Some servers will only show index.html, and won't automatically present index.htm without the "l". In such cases, you have to use the .html extension, at least for the default file for the directory, if you want to use that auto-display function.

In cases such as the above ^, it's useful because if you have an index page that is old, but you want to keep it, you can rename the extension to .htm, and keep a new version .html, therefore only one will display but you have both available. :)

Couple of notes:1.) Windows used a three character extension for many years in order to maintain backwards compatibility with the older DOS systems, so an .htm file extension is a throw-back to the win9x systems (and earlier).2.) the filename of the "index.html" and its extension can be modified using .htaccess and apache directives on the server, if your system allows you those capabilities.