browser checks

real_illusions

i know its not possible to get a completely error free site for every single browser out there for both pc, macs and linux, but, how do i reduce errors for opera?i did a browser check in dreamweaver.most of the errors are for the earlier versions.but..this one confused me slightly -

Warning: Attributes and values for the EMBED tag vary by plug-in. Please check that all attributes and values are valid.Microsoft IE for Macintosh 5.2, Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0, Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, Netscape Navigator 3.0, Netscape Navigator 4.0, Netscape Navigator 6.0, Opera 3.0, Opera 3.5, Opera 4.0, Opera 5.0, Opera 6.0, Opera 7.0
the flash movie works in explorer, both here and at work. it says all opera versions will have errors with just about every aspect of the flash movie.and sometimes, it says the "title" attribute is not supported for images, this isn't important to the site, but the report is not consistent. it gives me the same error but different browsers all the time.and another one with opera - "The Type attribute of the Style tag is not supported." but isn't that attribute a bit important?? :):(:)

as far as IE goes I wouldn't worry about anything older then 5.5.My guess would about he inconsistancies would be for older borwsers that don't support CSS and XHTML.IMO I wouldnt worry about it too much...the amount of users using such old browsers is so low...and besides if they are using browsers like that they probably can't view half the sites on net to begin with...I would put a small note or link to a page that gives the minimum browser requiremtns for the site.Compatibility for older browsers is important but going too far is just nuts.the newest Opera browser has 'modes' ... IE or FF...If a site isn't working correctly you can switch mode for better browsing..other than this version I haven't used opera.I usually optimize for IE5.5+ and FF (since they make up about 95% of all internet users) and leave the rest to hopefully upgrade.

First off, these are warnings so you might not have to worry about it. If they were errors, then you would definitely have to fix something. Of course, I'd be opening the flood gates if I didn't say fix it so there are no warnings either - but this is an imperfect world, so launch it with warnings if you have to but make sure you take the time to figure out why you have warnings.Post your code or page so we can look at it. I'm running Windows 2000 and I have IE, FF, NN, and Opera installed if you want me to check it out.Check your Dreamweaver settings. Click Edit/Preferences and then the last item should be Validator. Review what is checked there - you might be set up way to strict. For instance, I just have HTML 4.0 and Cold Fusion checked. I build a page and let dreamweaver catch any major issues then I validate it online with Firefox Web Developer Extension.

thanks for the help so fari get some warnings and some errors..although..the only errors are in opera and in earlier versions of netscape and explorer. netscape 7 and explorer 6 get no errors. FF gets no errors or warnings. safari gets no errors but 15 warnings. and explorer 6 just the one warning.the page is http://www.midlandkarting.co.uki'll look into how dreamweaver is set up..and i'll look into the errors first.

hmm..*bump*:)yeah..uhh..skemcin - what can you find with opera with my site?i did check how dw was set up, and it was set up for html 4.0 and coldfusion. and also every browser version as well.and now it doesn't want to output the report into my browser.. :)and most of the errors and warnings are of the title attribute in the image...why?

I wouldn't worry about anything older than 6.0 for Opera. Most people who have the sense to switch from IE to something else also have the sense to upgrade their browser version.

I wouldn't worry about anything older than 6.0 for Opera. Most people who have the sense to switch from IE to something else also have the sense to upgrade their browser version.

hehehe...i dont know why, everyone hates explorer..yet pretty much (nearly) everyone i talk to uses it.the problem is though (getting back on topic), i still get alot of errors and warnings for opera 6 and 7...although its mainly title attributes and the flash on the page.

hehehe...i dont know why, everyone hates explorer..yet pretty much (nearly) everyone i talk to uses it.the problem is though (getting back on topic), i still get alot of errors and warnings for opera 6 and 7...although its mainly title attributes and the flash on the page.

Not everyone hates Internet Explorer. Only those who have seen the light... :)Mostly webdevelopers and otherwise programmers who use linux and stuff... The reason most people use IE, and IE dominates the browser market, is that it comes as a standard on the windows OS, which again comes as a standard on PC's these days, so it's really a matter of Microsoft using their size to try and squeese the other competitors out...But one can think: How would one download an alternative browser, if you didn't have a browser to start off with? And what should come as the standard browser? Should one have to go to the store and buy the software necessary to browse the internet? Netscape, Firefox and Opera are free, and I don't think they come on a cd. IE is also free, but you also get it on CD with Windows, so maybe you're actually paying for it...Thanks for reading my rants... :)*agrees with ~Shinta* yes.gif

hey - busy weekend sorry I didn't check back on this one. Here are some findings:

h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 {color:#FFFF00;font: "Sylfaen", "Palatino Linotype", "Times New Roman";}p {color:#FFFFFF;font: "Sylfaen", "Palatino Linotype", "Times New Roman";}

a.) Remove the quotes from the font stylesb.) try changing font: to font-family:c.) its seems that your pages are rendering multiple <html>, <head>, and <body>Some of these issues might be confusing the browser and be causing issues you are encountering. I've browsed through the site fine with Firefox and Opera.I know you didn't ask for feedback on design, I just have to say that the background image is nice but a little too bright and sort of interfers with some of the text - something like this:http://www.iribbit.net/_files/anotherbackg3.jpgmight interfer less with the content.BTW, I love indoor cart racing - http://www.chicagoindoorracing.com:) :) :(

a.) Remove the quotes from the font stylesb.) try changing font: to font-family:c.) its seems that your pages are rendering multiple <html>, <head>, and <body>
a and b i've changed now. however, i cant see any mutiple html, head and body tags. doing an html check on the page produces nothing.
I know you didn't ask for feedback on design, I just have to say that the background image is nice but a little too bright and sort of interfers with some of the text  - something like this:http://www.iribbit.net/_files/anotherbackg3.jpgmight interfer less with the content.BTW, I love indoor cart racing - http://www.chicagoindoorracing.com:):(:D

thanks for the feedback, most appreciated. i'll look into the background. However, it seems ok to me, but then again i've seen the site millions of time, so i'm used to it.and our karts are faster than yours :(:blink::):)

i cant see any mutiple html, head and body tags. doing an html check on the page produces nothing.

Are you using any scripts that might be generating the code with the extra HTML, Body tags? That might explain why you don't see it when you scan the HTML on your computer. There could be some Javascript/PHP that is generating it.Just an FYI, here is the code with the duplicate tags It comes just after the meta tags, and just before your javascripts:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"><html><head><title>Untitled Document</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"></head><body></body></html>

By the way, I was able to view the site fine and I am using Firefox 1.5. So it works in the latest version of Firefox....:)

As kcarson points out, that code get thrown in the top fo teh page somehow - view the source of teh page once its rendered - you should see what were talking about.I, too, use Firefox 1.5 and its looking good there, in Opera 8, Netscape 8.0 and Internet Crapsplorer 6.0.

and our karts are faster than yours
:(:) :)

Are you using any scripts that might be generating the code with the extra HTML, Body tags? That might explain why you don't see it when you scan the HTML on your computer. There could be some Javascript/PHP that is generating it.
theres a couple of php include commands in the pages.and those include documents are full php/html pages.do i just get rid of all the other html, meta, body tags etc.. in them other pages?
I, too, use Firefox 1.5 and its looking good there, in Opera 8, Netscape 8.0 and Internet Crapsplorer 6.0.

Personally, I won't touch IE or any other browser unless I wanna view really cool SVG. But I heard firefox is coming out with SVG recognition, I can't wait! :)

Well "stupid"(I don't think you are, but if you insist...) SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics. It's a XML based alternative to Flash(well... kind of). In other words, it's a programming language with an XML syntax that displays inteactive information on the screen. Because it's based on XML, it could be syncronized with an XML that would carry the data. That way, maintaining the data up to date becomes much easier.For more information see the SVG tutorial on w3schools

theres a couple of php include commands in the pages.and those include documents are full php/html pages.do i just get rid of all the other html, meta, body tags etc.. in them other pages?

"in them other pages?" - lolyes - you can remove those tags - especialy if them there :) files you are includin' are never going to be and not intended to be stand alone pages.All an "include" does is copy-n-paste one file into the other just before the server processes it - so think of it that way - both from a desiging and programming point of view. :) Oh, and yes, I know, your carts are still faster than ours. :(

thanks for all the help everyone!! :) but i still dont understand why dreamweaver says opera doesn't support title attributes in the image tags..oh..and yes, skemcin, i still know that you know that our karts are faster than yours :)

thanks for all the help everyone!! :) but i still dont understand why dreamweaver says opera doesn't support title attributes in the image tags..

Maybe it really doesn't support the title attribute. Try using "alt" instead. I mean... what's the difference between a tooltip(the "title") and the "alt" attribute? If the image is present and you hold over the image, it will display the alt text in a tooltip...I guess you would be able to "live" without a specific text for the tooltip, right? Your visitors as well... This isn't something you should worry about.

but i still dont understand why dreamweaver says opera doesn't support title attributes in the image tags..

I wonder if has anything to do with the DOCTYPE you might be using and how Opera interprets that particular one. But, if I remember correctly, "alt" is for images and "title" is for links - they are not interchangable. I know it "appears" that they produce the same results, but they technically don't.

You can title an image. You can title anything except the head tag, doctype, base, ummm... title, style, script, and meta tag. :)The alt tag on the other hand, can only be used on images as far as I see. I might be forgetting things the alt fits in...It is actually reccomended you title images, for accesibility purposes.

You can title an image. You can title anything except the head tag, doctype, base, ummm... title, style, script, and meta tag. :)The alt tag on the other hand, can only be used on images as far as I see. I might be forgetting things the alt fits in...It is actually reccomended you title images, for accesibility purposes.

From reading the w3c standards, the alt attribute can be applied to images, forms, or applets and is required for said tags (see http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/obj....html#adef-alt)The title attribute would be used in this case as a tooltip on mouseover. And as Shinta mentioned it can be used for most any tag (see http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.4.3)Now for a good rundown of the best practices for title vs. alt, check out this article.http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol6/html_no1.htm

It is actually reccomended you title images, for accesibility purposes.

pretty much the exact reason i put them in there. a little tooltip as Kcarson says, to aid the visitor. Whatever aids the visitor in their usage of the site can only be a good thing.It also helps in what they might expect when they click on a link, where it takes them, what its about etc...i find that very useful when i'm browsing sites, a link that tells me more info before i click on it. :)