Review: need honest opinion

aspnetguy

Can you guys look at my layout for my portfolio. I need honest opinions/critisisms on how to improve it. Only the first page works.This needs to be as good as possible as it will often be what makes a first impression to potential clients.Thankshttp://dev.aspnetguy.com/portfolio/index.htmlPS: I know th code doesn't validate and there are hacks it he CSS...that will be cleaned up later.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason it is so skinny is there is not much content ot go into the site (except screenshots in portfolio section) plus when looking through portfolio templates on template sites I noticed there were a few skinny like that. I think it makes it more unique and stands out from regular websites...which it should.I am not totaly unwilling to change the width, although I did spend more than 2 hours making the header logo for that width. Not excited to have to re-do it.I agree about the links being plain. I will think about what else I can do.Did you like the "more" slide down?

how's that? I added the pointer and a mouseover effectWhat do you guys think of adding another column to the right (about a 10-20 pixel margin from main column) with feeds about web design and stuff like that? Would that be a good idea for a portfolio? It would help my google rank too :)

Nice site aspnetguy!I like the colours you chose. I love your banner. I like the more functionality. I also think the site is thin but I think this can be fixed by having a navigation that is maybe a bit more complex than white text on black background. I also think you could use something in the body background. Maybe some kind of pattern, it's probably going to be difficult with your header and footer to have that kind of background. Other than that probably just fix the css warnings, those are easy to fix.I think that covers it. Nice work!

I'm hungry, so I'm looking at this quickly, her is what I have so far:a.) I can appreciate the design - thin and all but it will restrict your content layout - but there are ways to use your space creativelyb.) the "more" link I think is your key. On your Portfolio page these should be adopted to read clientdomainA.com, clientdomainB.com, clientdomainC.com, etc. In the grey drop down, have a screen shot that can be clicked to a large popup window version - never directly link to your portfolio site urls. The humbnail in teh grey drop div could also have a little summary of the project.c.) the news might be nice in a higher location but like a hanging chad on the left or right - floating in that dark charcoal space - like that demo site I shared (but done more professionally - http://www.pedialink.org/hottopics). Use the same more concept there (tall thin link) and that might look niced.) They say scrolling is not that big of a deal, but in this case, the text runs below the fold and people will have the impression that more "blah blah blah" is down there - so either put a news link above the fold, give the news page one of its own.Maybe after I eat I might have a couple other ideas - but I really like the layout and design - I just think a few creative tweaks will get the important information in the visitors face and not wondering how far they might have to scroll to get to it. :)

The green mark..I agree with...that needs to go.And the middle of the "o" looks a little rough... not sure why (probably becuase its a gif)And also for your main image don't use gif use png...the colors will be brighter and bolder...that image will "pop" more. I also sugguest giving that image a more yellow hue so the green is a little brighter.And the margin space between the image and the text (white) if that space is going to be so large then add something there like horizonal lines (in white maybe) like 3 or 4 of them.And maybe a glow around the everything a suttle white glow.Besides that I love the simple layout.

thanks guys for all the feedback.I will be starting the side bar either late today or ove rhte weekend. Yeah the o is a bit rough and the green marks will be gone :). It is a gif because I couldn't see any visible quality difference with PNG and the PNG was 6 times larger.I changed the navigation, what do you think?Skencin: Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll see what I can do with the news and think of some creative ways to place content.

I like the nav but I could tell it was a gif before checking... oh well. Looks good.

The page is very easy-loading though.I like the guitar in the logo.For now, I can't really give any constructive critisism sorry.You seem to be good with graphics, and with ASP.NET skills you'll surely get quite a few customers.