CMS and Personal Website feedback

Anders Moen

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

adersmoen, I do graphics. I will make you an image that says andersmoen in the colors you like with maybe a guitar and drumset in the background. I do pretty good stuff - trust me. You want it or not? It might take me a while because I have college, a newborn, a freelance web design job currently, and working for a real web design company starting in a couple of days - but when I find the spare time, I'll make you that image. I could even make it highlight with a JavaScript rollover if you want - that way you could use it as a link to the home page or something. Just let me know and you got it. If you like my work, maybe I could design graphics for your personal website or maybe you could even outsource your graphics work to me for your web design jobs? I wouldn't be able to do that for free, but I would probably accept whatever you pay me - one web designer to another :) Maybe you could take some money you get from a client and use it to pay me for graphics?Down the road, I might not even mind making graphics for you navigation links and stuff if I have time...http://www.kenetix.net/ - In my opinion, this is the best website layout I have ever seen period - hands down.http://www.ultraweaver.com/ - This is good too. You should definitely at least check both of these out. They both have graphics tutorials by the way also.Hope that helps,LifeInBinary.
Are you serious?If you have time, I would love to!It should say Anders Moen and I like the colors orange and black, hehe, and red of course.And Kenetix, well, I'm already a member there and stuff (got in some days ago), and yeah - that site's really good.One of the owners (or the owner), said I could join their design team at MSN just randomly, lol...oh yeah! Me and design, very nice match:P

check out http://www.csszengarden.com/ its got some good designs, look for "select design" on the right side
Those are some of the best layouts I have ever seen. Really impressive. Thanks for that.You know of anything else like that?Thanks,LifeInBInary.

Are you serious?
Yes, I'm very serious. I do stuff like that in my spare time with just a made-up company name or something - so might as well be productive and help somebody else with it :)
And Kenetix, well, I'm already a member there and stuff (got in some days ago), and yeah - that site's really good.One of the owners (or the owner), said I could join their design team at MSN just randomly, lol...oh yeah! Me and design, very nice match:P
That's awesome. So what does their design team do? Do you think I would have a shot at getting in? I'm still learning a lot with coding, but graphics I'm pretty good at. Not to say I'm not good at coding (what I know anyway).And, no offense intended at all - just curious - but why do you keep saying that you are really good at design? No offense, but you asked people to help you with design because you said you couldn't do it yourself - and then you say you are good at it? Maybe I'm just reading stuff wrong or confused - but I'm not trying to down you, I'm just wandering which it is... Are you good at design, or can you not do it?By the way, how do you get your clients? I would like to make myself available for web design, but how do you get business?Thanks,LifeInBinary.

Oh, you didn't understand it was irony, didn't you? I'm really bad at designing.That's why I need help with the design on my site, hehe.But about you have a chance to get into the design team? Well, don't ask me. He just told me I could join it lol.

Okay, I've started checking out webdesign tutorials at Talk-Mania. They have really nice templates there, so I've gotten a lot of ideas. Too bad they only have 3 for portfolios =/ but I'm checking out every tutorial :)Edit:I looked at one of the tutorials, and I made the image further down. I'm not very good in Photoshop so it's not exactly the best, but at least I got something...what you think of it?(Further down, I had to remove these two, because they took to much space)

maybe I could design graphics for your personal website or maybe you could even outsource your graphics work to me for your web design jobs? I wouldn't be able to do that for free, but I would probably accept whatever you pay me - one web designer to another Maybe you could take some money you get from a client and use it to pay me for graphics?
Me and my friend from college do that ! Works well - i too am one of the developers and not designers.As for http://www.kenetix.net/ - I'm not really a fan of that kind of website, too cluttered in my opinion.and vhchris' idea of the sharp, brown, accoustic guitar in the corner, i really like the sound of ! think it would look perfect !(UPDATE) i can see it sort of like this: http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/195/195.css&page=0

One of my template structure was based on that csszengarden page. It's nice and simple. You could put in the reflection of the guitar as well.

Mhm, okay. I'll try to find on something.I'm gonna try out a new template now, from that site again, just this time I'm gonna go for one of the tutorials that's called "Simple profesional"

Me and my friend from college do that ! Works well - i too am one of the developers and not designers.
So are you saying that you would be interested in having me do some graphics for jobs or are you just commenting?Let me know - as I am always looking for work (you don't have to pay me much either - like I said, I do this in my spare time and I'm just pretty good).Thanks,LifeInBinary.

Yeah! I would love that you made some graphics for me! That would be so lovely of you.If you go here, you'll see how bad I am in Photoshop. Those images there is the most advanced I've ever made, haha!Well, thank you :)

I'd say just go buy yourself a Photoshop book and do some of the exercises. You can always try and find some tutorials online about how to make certain effects.

Vchris: that's what I'm kinda doing. I'm following talk-mania's tutorials of making websites in just one big photo.And then afterwards I can slice it up, and start coding it all up. I've learned a lot already after just two tutorials.My two results are here, and here.I only got the first one in a picture right now, but the second one you can see "live" here.

Okay, thanks..Well, I made a new one (which is more blue :)), but I haven't got in any content yet, but here it is:top.jpg*If you see text on it, (except links and stuff), but content, I've updated it.*And I didn't use very much time making this in Photoshop, so the menu is a bit "not good" yet, and stuff, hehe. But if you like it, I will make it better. And I also might put a picture of me with a guitar on it, just make it all black (that's cool)

Nice content area but I don't like the banner and nav. Something about the round buttons that doesn't fit. Maybe just try to change the navigation.

Yeah, I know. I started slicing it up and code it, and I didn't get it like that, so the buttons are just normal text with white background-color.I will upload it later, so you're able to see it "live" soon :)

Looks nice. I don't really like the text on the footer at the bottom for some reason, but other than that it looks good. In Fire Fox, the top menu is down a bit further than I think it should be, it hangs over the banner a bit. It looks fine in IE 6 though. I had that problem before, what I did was wrapped it in a <p> tag called <p class="inline'> and then in the CSS, had this:

p.inline {display: inline;}

It worked. Fire Fox does that for some reason.

Thanks!Oh yeah, the footer, I don't really like the text either, but I didn't know which font to use. I will change it to a background and take that text away, so I can have links to validator about my valid site and that I made the CMS I'm using there, and that's true. Just gonna finish it first, haha.Well, I don't have FF on this computer, but I'll download it now to check it. That's almost weird, cause it works in IE, but not in FF :)I downloaded FF, and I put this around the menu: <p class="content" style="display: inline;">Menu here</p>But look in IE and Opera now =/And when I take class="content" away, it looks just the same as it did before.

Maybe it's because you have <p class="content"> around your actual content area. You could take out the class in the p element, but you said it looks exactly the same. I dunno. Or call it <p class="nav"> or something different maybe? I don't know why it would do that.It worked for me before, but I was using an unordered list.