page layout

Romy Li

I have set up a simple website using table to format all the pages. In the last few months I maintained a couple of websites for the local charity. They both used DIV to format the pages. I find it easy to use table because I can control the layout better. I remember reading it from somewhere that it is not a good practice to use table. I am going to set a new site and would like to hear your opinions. Thanks very much.

Most designers are moving away from table layouts and only using tables for tabular data. The reason for this is because that was the original purpose of tables, not for layouts.With CSS it is quite easy to develop complex layouts without tables.You may run into diffculties when trying this...don;t give up. We can help work through it. The issues you will run into are just inconsistencies between browsers which can be resoved.Good luck.

Most designers are moving away from table layouts and only using tables for tabular data. The reason for this is because that was the original purpose of tables, not for layouts.With CSS it is quite easy to develop complex layouts without tables.You may run into diffculties when trying this...don;t give up. We can help work through it. The issues you will run into are just inconsistencies between browsers which can be resoved.Good luck.

Hi Justinthanks for your feedback. I will try to use Div to format my pages in the new site. It is interesting to note a posting today about W3C uses table to format their webpages. I suppose years ago it was consider OK to do so and the trend has since changed. I also have a question about hte use of frames. Some website uses frames to format their navigation. It is much faster because the server does not need to reload everything. What are the disadvantages, other than not able to be bookmarked ? Does W3c recommends the use of frames ?Thanks again

Actually there is nothing worng with using tables to make layouts...it is just becoming less and less common. Using divs and CSS cuts down on the amount of code and it makes it easier to read.Frames eh? Actually it may take long to load a page with frames....remember every frame is a seperate page so you could be loading 2,3,4 or more pages at once.Frames cause problems with bookmarking and browser history. Because the frameset page is not changing, just he content of the frames, everytime a user bookmarks it is actually book marking hte frameset not the content int he frames. With history, since the frameset page does not change, the history doesn't log anything because trechnically the page isn't changing.I would recommend getting away from frames. Server side languages aloow SSI (server side includes) which allows you to insert other pages into the current page.for example if you wanted to have a navigation menu on everypage but didn't want to put the code on everypage (which you shouldn't) then you could use SSI.if you don't know a server side language you can just change the extention on your HTML page that will use SSI to .shtml. This will allow you to use SSI like this

....<!-- #include file="menupage.html" -->...

the contents of menupage.html will be inserted exactly where you use the SSI call.I hope this helpscheers

• 5 weeks later...

I have tried including the navigation set up as a separate HTML page as suggested. The menu items shows up when I tested it in IE and Firefox thanks for your help.However, because I am using Dreamweaver 6 to do the coding, Dreamweaver cannot resolve the inclusion and flagged the line as error and would not display any of the rest of my design view. Would you or anybody knows how I can get around this problems ?If I use PHP include the menu, I assume I must have PHP installed in my PC. Are there any site I can download the PHP (Sorry I know next to nothing about PHP so if I have a bit of pointers I would really appreciate it.)Thanks again.

I have tried including the navigation set up as a separate HTML page as suggested. The menu items shows up when I tested it in IE and Firefox thanks for your help.However, because I am using Dreamweaver 6 to do the coding, Dreamweaver cannot resolve the inclusion and flagged the line as error and would not display any of the rest of my design view. Would you or anybody knows how I can get around this problems ?If I use PHP include the menu, I assume I must have PHP installed in my PC. Are there any site I can download the PHP (Sorry I know next to nothing about PHP so if I have a bit of pointers I would really appreciate it.)Thanks again.

Here you go:http://www.php.net/downloads.phpThe site has plenty of info on PHP...since it is a PHP only site :)