Setting up IIS in XP Pro

ecluley

Hi, I am trying to setup a webserver on a computer on my network. I have a Safecom SWBARR-5400 router with my PC and the webserver (running windows xp pro) connected. The webserver has a static IP- 192.168.1.3. IIS is installed and appears to be running correctly, when i type

http://localhost

into the browser i am shown the pages that came with IIS, i can even get a php test page working. The problems creap in when i try to access my webserver using the computers IP address. I type

http://192.168.1.3

into the browser, it takes ages and hands me a login box and when i cancle that, a "You are not authorized to view this page" page! The same happens when i use 127.0.0.1. I also have a port forward setup on my router to send incoming port 80 trafic to 192.168.1.3 (the webserver) when i goto the WAN ip address (the one reported by www.whatismyip.com - 80.4.194.175) i get an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. I have been going in circles for days- does anyone have any advice- its as if IIS isn't allowing access from my ipaddress. Thanks for any help or advice.Ewen

You might verify that anonymous access is set up. In my version of IIS, you right click on the website (or virtual directory) and choose properties. Then you choose the "Directory Security" tab and then click on the "Edit" button for the Anonymous access and authentication control to bring up the "Authentication Methods" form. I've got "Anonymous access" checked and "Allow IIS to control password" checked as well.

• 5 months later...
You might verify that anonymous access is set up. In my version of IIS, you right click on the website (or virtual directory) and choose properties. Then you choose the "Directory Security" tab and then click on the "Edit" button for the Anonymous access and authentication control to bring up the "Authentication Methods" form. I've got "Anonymous access" checked and "Allow IIS to control password" checked as well.
Sorry I intrude!Thank you Jesh!I had a password problem with IIS and your post here, just helped me to solve the problem.Three days I can't access to IIS. Finaly it is solved due to this topic.Great, thanx again.

Archived