ActionScript 3.0 Tutorial

Darkness

You really need one. The only web site I can actually find that explains programming languages in an understandable way is W3Schools. I've been searching for a good ActionScript 3.0 tutorial, and I've had no luck. They assume that you know everything that they are talking about. They don't explain any vocabulary. I've become a very good programmer over the year (PHP, C++, C+, C, C#, etc.), and normally learning a new programming language is SIMPLE.Besides, most of the tutorials aren't in correct order, they're just a bunch of random tutorials. For example, W3School's tutorials always have a beginning and an end, most ActionScript 3.0 tutorials I have located do not.Thanks!

• 2 years later...
Guest imAronahCLT
You really need one. The only web site I can actually find that explains programming languages in an understandable way is W3Schools. I've been searching for a good ActionScript 3.0 tutorial, and I've had no luck. They assume that you know everything that they are talking about. They don't explain any vocabulary. I've become a very good programmer over the year (PHP, C++, C+, C, C#, etc.), and normally learning a new programming language is SIMPLE.Besides, most of the tutorials aren't in correct order, they're just a bunch of random tutorials. For example, W3School's tutorials always have a beginning and an end, most ActionScript 3.0 tutorials I have located do not.Thanks!
I agree! :) I would really like to see an ActionScript 3.0 tutorial.

I'd say that if you want to learn ActionScript 3.0 you should look into learning real programming in a college or university.ActionScript 3.0 is highly object-oriented. There's more to programming than just learning commands and syntax.

• 3 weeks later...

@ Darkness, that's quite impressive what you wrote down here :)Would you please mind telling me how did you get good at these (I see that you mentioned a time period of a year that took you to learn these) ?I've been doing C# for mostly 5 months (on & off) in that time period.Started fresh from a "Teach yourself in 24 hours" book, until I got to arrays and I didn't understand what this guy was talking about because he assumed the reader has (just like you said) previous knowledge of C# although he states that it's for complete beginners (and nothing of the stuff he assumed the reader would know is covered in the early chapters).From then I got to just googling operations I wanted to comprehend, along with some VTC classes which were very good.Now I am trying to assimilate what I have learned so far and move on but it is quite difficult.Was there a magic C# tutorial site that I missed?Please share it with me :)

• 2 months later...
@ Darkness, that's quite impressive what you wrote down here :)Would you please mind telling me how did you get good at these (I see that you mentioned a time period of a year that took you to learn these) ?I've been doing C# for mostly 5 months (on & off) in that time period.Started fresh from a "Teach yourself in 24 hours" book, until I got to arrays and I didn't understand what this guy was talking about because he assumed the reader has (just like you said) previous knowledge of C# although he states that it's for complete beginners (and nothing of the stuff he assumed the reader would know is covered in the early chapters).From then I got to just googling operations I wanted to comprehend, along with some VTC classes which were very good.Now I am trying to assimilate what I have learned so far and move on but it is quite difficult.Was there a magic C# tutorial site that I missed?Please share it with me :)
YouTube, search for C# and you got 5180 videos and most off all are tuts about C#. And download Microsoft Visual Studio, because it has code hinting, i've learn't c# with that very fast.

• 1 year later...

Ofir, I suggest you look at a basic object oriented programming tutorial. If you can find one for C#, that'd be really useful. Otherwise, one in Java would be useful because Java and C# are quite similar in syntax. Lately I have been working on a project using the Flex framework and ActionScript 3. Although it might be difficult to have a full on tutorial on Actionscript 3, I think it'd be useful to at least dedicate a forum for deploying ActionScript based apps. I've had quite a few questions while using Actionscript 3, since its a mix between JS and a traditional OO language like Java, and it'd be helpful to discuss ActionScript 3 with other developers.

I pointed it out because you were directly addressing a person who probably will not read your post. We do have a Flash forum, but it's not going to be much use if we don't have experts who post there.

true, i probably should have looked at his post count before addressing him. Even though there aren't experts yet, I'm sure people will come. Having a forum titled Flash seems kind of pointless, especially since Flash alone seems to be dying. However, I think it may be more useful to broaden the category to include rich internet applications (Flex and Actionscript).

Archived