Advice needed on hosting

Guest tonymillion

Guest tonymillion

I would like some advice on web hosting. I am in the UK and have just started hosting with WebFusion but am experiencing endless problems. I uploaded my site last week and everyday there have been problems with the server being slow, yesterday it went down for 3 hours and today we didn't receive any emails all morning because there wasn't any temporary space on the server.So I am thinking of changing hosting and/or moving away from shared hosting, but how do I know which web hosting companies are good?I have been looking at IX Web hosting which are US based (and much cheaper than UK companies!) - does it matter where in the world I host? Would this slow down upload/download times (most of my site visitors are UK based).Also WebFusion have their new 'Virtual Private Server' systems, which apparently offer state of the art partioning between accounts on the server, are there any other hosting companies that offer this (I can't find any)?Thirdly Fasthosts are currently offering cheap dedicated server hosting. What do I need to know to run this? I have no experience of running servers, is it something I could learn as I go along?I would be really grateful for any help anyone could offer!

a dedicated server means you get a whole server for yourself, instead of shared hosting. It basicly means you have more control over everything, but "with great power comes great responsibilities" :). I only recommend dedicated hosting if you're gonna use it for a company's website, otherwise its not worth all the money.ineedhosting.net seems nice :)dain