Question of Storage

the-kid3210

I was wondering if there was a site that I could put my scripts and stylesheets and what not in. Is there any site out there where I can not only save my website in but most of my other things too?

buy some hosting/web space. Plenty of cheap web spaces going about.and probably some half decent free ones too.Then upload it to the webspace.Or buy a bigger hard drive if your running out of local space. External hard drivers are quite cheap nowadays.:)

Any host (i.e. a web site that can store your web site) can do that. The question is how much space they will give you for your "other things".For a list of hosts, see the Host and DNS Discussion topic. "DNS" being "Domain Name Service" - you get your own "name" (like "w3schools.com") which is mapped to an IP adress you own (in W3Schools' case - 216.128.29.26).

Most internet service providers give you web space with your subscription. you could try that - just store your files there and have the bonus of them being accessible through the browser. There are other "online file storage" services available, just google them.

you get your own "name" (like "w3schools.com") which is mapped to an IP adress you own (in W3Schools' case - 216.128.29.26).
can I be in control of what the name will be or will the company just issue me one and I'll have to work with that?

can I be in control of what the name will be or will the company just issue me one and I'll have to work with that?
You can decide it as long as it is not allready taken, just google for register a domain. The "name "URL"" simply links to the IP adres witch has your information stored as Boen_Robot mentioned, just be aware that you will need to pay for this. Some webhostingcompany's do allow you to use one of their subdomains (mainly free webhostingcompany's you would like to avoid). As an example if www.freehost123.com would give you a subdomain it could look like www.yoursite.freehost123.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldnt google a URL. There are many URLs that do not get added to Google's database. I would just simply go to here and check if a URL is available. You dont have to go there. But thats just a random host I decided to put on. I have a website. WWW.GameYin.COM (Not developed yet) and it has not been added to Google's database and I've tried to get it added 4 times now. 5 in about 3 days.

I have a website. WWW.GameYin.COM (Not developed yet) and it has not been added to Google's database and I've tried to get it added 4 times now. 5 in about 3 days.
submitting it to google 5 times in 3 days will likely get it banned as it'll look like your spamming google. Search engines need time to index your site. Submit it once and wait about a week or 2. If your site is incomplete, then they wont index it as its not finished. You could start to build a site about kitchen sinks, submit it, then after its indexed, re-make it so it hosts illegal software and stuff, and so when people search for kitchen sinks, they find your illegal site.i knows that an extreme but it does happen.:)

No no no no. I mean I have tried a lot of times to get it index'ed. And the "5 in 3 days", I meant that it will be 5 tries in another 3 days. I have separated my requests for indexing about a month apart

• 3 weeks later...

Archived