P2PML - Peer-to-Peer Markup Language

mlauzon

P2PML (Peer-to-Peer Markup Language) is intended to replace the meta information of current p2p protocols, this will hopefully be used by any new p2p applications that may come out in the future. P2PML, being an application of XML should enrich and enhance what we already see with current p2p metadata. I thought of this in response to TPB deciding to make a new P2P network to compete with BitTorrent, so I am looking for Developers as well, who are good with XML.http://sourceforge.net/projects/p2pml/

I am a big fen of anything XML related, yet I can't really see how this will be integrated with torrent networks or other P2P networks.Have you thought about why don't torrents use the protocol(s) used by EMule? It's because the two methods are totally different. Unifying protols means unifying P2P and selecting a single communication method, which limits the things P2P networks can achieve in the future.EMule have their standards used by all EMule compatible agents; Torrents have their standards used by all Torrent compatible agents. Other P2P protocols have their standards used by agents compatible with that specific protocol. Each protocol is needed, as it presents a new way of communication.I can see a benefit in storing meta information in XML though i.e. being able to extract that information and use it on both a web site and in a download agent, without the need for any special parser (XML/DOM support being enough).If you'll (try to) make a standard for all P2P networks, you'll fail miserably. You have a better chance at creating a standard only for a single network, like Torrents for example.Your best bet is to contact the protocol's creator (TPB in this case) and ask them to make the meta files of their future protocl XML files with a different extension. Since they are it's authors, and probably first implementers of an enabled agent, it's up to them whether this will be enforced or not.

Notice I said:...any new p2p applications that may come out in the futureand:I thought of this in response to TPB deciding to make a new P2P network to compete with BitTorrent, so I am looking for Developers as well, who are good with XML.This really has nothing to do with current P2P technologies.

Your best bet is to contact the protocol's creator (TPB in this case) and ask them to make the meta files of their future protocl XML files with a different extension. Since they are it's authors, and probably first implementers of an enabled agent, it's up to them whether this will be enforced or not.
And, I sort of have done the above, the problem is they get hundreds -- if not thousands -- of emails a day...so mine may or may not be lost in the shuffle.

Notice I said:...any new p2p applications that may come out in the futureand:I thought of this in response to TPB deciding to make a new P2P network to compete with BitTorrent, so I am looking for Developers as well, who are good with XML.This really has nothing to do with current P2P technologies.
My point was that you can't unify P2P meta data. You can only unify the P2P meta data used by the new protocol of TPB, or to be more exact - TPB will unify it, not you.
And, I sort of have done the above, the problem is they get hundreds -- if not thousands -- of emails a day...so mine may or may not be lost in the shuffle.
Great. And, after a short search, I saw the P2P protocol design page which already seems to say the ".p2p" files will be XML files. This means that either your suggestion has been accepted, or that the authors had this idea long before you wrote them about it. Either way - XML syntax meta files are on the board, and you (and I for that matter) should be happy about it :) .

My point was that you can't unify P2P meta data. You can only unify the P2P meta data used by the new protocol of TPB, or to be more exact - TPB will unify it, not you.Great. And, after a short search, I saw the P2P protocol design page which already seems to say the ".p2p" files will be XML files. This means that either your suggestion has been accepted, or that the authors had this idea long before you wrote them about it. Either way - XML syntax meta files are on the board, and you (and I for that matter) should be happy about it :) .
What I should have said in my post, was not applications, but networks...of course it's to late now; because I've posted a lot about P2PML around the Web.

What I should have said in my post, was not applications, but networks...of course it's to late now; because I've posted a lot about P2PML around the Web.
Point stands - new networks can never use P2PML if they present new means of comminucation, not compatible with SP2P (I think that's the name of the new protocol of TPB) provided SP2P implements P2PML as it's meta data syntax to begin with.By the way, do you have ANY specification(s) that TPB could at least take a peek at? I honestly like their file format. It seems really simple and general. What does P2PML have that this format doesn't?

Point stands - new networks can never use P2PML if they present new means of comminucation, not compatible with SP2P (I think that's the name of the new protocol of TPB) provided SP2P implements P2PML as it's meta data syntax to begin with.By the way, do you have ANY specification(s) that TPB could at least take a peek at? I honestly like their file format. It seems really simple and general. What does P2PML have that this format doesn't?
I just started it, that is why I am looking for Developers, I've got some ideas...but have other Developers would be a lot more helpful.

I just started it, that is why I am looking for Developers, I've got some ideas...but have other Developers would be a lot more helpful.
OK. Write down the basic ideas you have somewhere, and if I like them better than SP2P's format, I'll join you in improving them.

OK. Write down the basic ideas you have somewhere, and if I like them better than SP2P's format, I'll join you in improving them.
I am not the greatest at writing down my ideas, but for one thing, with encryption, we can either use what TPB will be using, AES, RIPEMD-160, or something extremely stronger.

Like, uh, here in this thread, for example!
I'd prefer doing it on my P2PML projects discussion forum on SourceForge...but again I would like to have some Developers regardless so we all can come up with something.
@Reg Edit I expected he'll say that. That's why I generalized.Still, if you want to attract anyone, you need to have something as a start. Create at least one wiki page showing a sample file with the syntax you have in mind - the way the SP2P meta file format page is. As you can see, there isn't a schema or a detailed specificaiton. There is only a sample file and basic explanation of each element's meaning. If you want to attract anyone, you need at least a sample XML file of yours.

Create at least one wiki page showing a sample file with the syntax you have in mind - the way the SP2P meta file format page is. As you can see, there isn't a schema or a detailed specificaiton. There is only a sample file and basic explanation of each element's meaning. If you want to attract anyone, you need at least a sample XML file of yours.
I don't know how to use wiki sites, just know how to read the articles on them.

I don't know how to use wiki sites, just know how to read the articles on them.
OK. Write down this file here. You know how to use a forum obviously. C'mon... lure us in somehow.

Archived