mysql not working properly

bujutsu

recently, i tried to learn php, so i download apache, php, and then mysql. things were going smoothly until i started to install mysql. the version i use is mysql-5.0.0a-alpha-win. it installed smoothly, but when i tried to restart the services after i configure the winmysqladmin, it said "failed to start the services, try again in 30 seconds" or so.so i waited 30s en tried to start the services and resulted the same. according to my book, if nothing's wrong, the icon should be showing green light instead red light. so i wonder wat's wrong with this version.i tried other version (4.1.15). at first, it installed but when i tried to execute (after configuring), it shows some error. it says tat i am using a firewall which block mysql and i should open port 3306. i didnt use windows firewall, and i didnt use my router's firewall too. and i already configured my zone alarm firewall to open port 3306, and i still can't configure the mysql.so i uninstall the 4.1.15 and install the 5.0.0a-alpha-win again, and it still doesnt want to configure.anyone have ever faced this problem? this problem is already bugging me for 2 weeks or so. please help me, thx in advance.

but the 4.1.15 didnt work.

Ok, I know that it is probably bad practice to do this (refer people to other forums that is), but I doubt any of us will know specifically what is going on...so try this, go to the forums on mysql.com, here is the linkhttp://forums.mysql.com/Since that is all they talk about there, they should definitely be able to help you. They even have a section for installs only.