Migration to Dot Net

sunnysuku

Migration to Dot Net (VB to VB.net, ASP to ASP.net) :Any body knows whether we can migrate directly from VB-5 to VB.net?Sunil.S
Sorry but I think it will be a rewrite.ASP.NET: works in a totally different way from ASP classic. VB projects; in principle, usually you can open an old version of an MS project in the new Visual Studio and it will try to convert as much as it can. But usually you are left to pick up the pieces and work out how to finish it off, and follow up error messages/warnings etc.And VB5 is a very long time ago, which will compound this problem.In any case there will be features of .NET that would mean you could do things in a better way than before.I would start again. Think of it as a learning opportunity, to get used to .NET!

Yes I am affraid you are going to have to do a rewrite. .Net completely changed the way we program web sites and applications from VBScript and VB5+6. All .Net languages now share the common framework of libraries instead of each implementing their own method.When upgrading to ASP.Net be sure to consentrate on the codebehind model. Inline tags (classic asp style) are no a good practice in ASP.Net and make maintenance much harder.

Yes I understand your views. Thank you very much.I am in to migration group of a company. we are seeing all the possibilities of all kind of Converions.Like VB6 - VB.net ASP to ASP.netBut this VB5, I think the only option is First convert from VB5 to VB 6 (Change all the Data Layers and other non supported Controls)Then VB6 to VB.net..I wanted to check any tools availble in the market to do this job (atleast 50% :))

Sorry but I think it will be a rewrite.ASP.NET: works in a totally different way from ASP classic. VB projects; in principle, usually you can open an old version of an MS project in the new Visual Studio and it will try to convert as much as it can. But usually you are left to pick up the pieces and work out how to finish it off, and follow up error messages/warnings etc.And VB5 is a very long time ago, which will compound this problem.In any case there will be features of .NET that would mean you could do things in a better way than before.I would start again. Think of it as a learning opportunity, to get used to .NET!

Yes I understand your views. Thank you very much.I am in to migration group of a company. we are seeing all the possibilities of all kind of Converions.Like VB6 - VB.net ASP to ASP.netBut this VB5, I think the only option is First convert from VB5 to VB 6 (Change all the Data Layers and other non supported Controls)Then VB6 to VB.net..I wanted to check any tools availble in the market to do this job (atleast 50% :))

If we want to migrate an application in ASP or VB-6 to ASP.net or VB.net we would need to do an assessment before the actual migration. This tool (Eg for VB6 to VB.net, we have an assessment tool from Microsoft-ArtinSoft which will provide us the effort, estimation a complete assessment of the existing VB-6 application. This is very useful if we make a proposal to the clinet for any migration project.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyo...;displayLang=enis there any similar tool available for ASP.?This was my question..

Archived