Photoshop vs Illustrator

vchris

Which one is better for designing websites?How is the learning curve of Illutrator for someone that has been working with Photoshop for years?Personally, I've only used Photoshop for all my websites but recently I've been told about Illustrator and how it's better for designing logos and websites. Photoshop is better for designing images. Both are kinda similar.

Illustrator does vectorial images: smooth curves and solid colors (and gradients too). Unlike photoshop it's not pixel-based.I found it a little hard myself, for vector pictures I stick with flash instead.Illustrator is recommendable to make logos and title pictures, while photoshop is more intended towards digital paintings and professional art (apart from photo manipulation).

• 1 month later...

So I just got my Illustrator CS3 today and at first glance it seems pretty similar to Photoshop CS3 but when you start using it it's completely different. The blending options aren't on the layer anymore they're on their own on the side and it's a bit confusing to me. Everything is so small. With photoshop there was so many options for a gradient but with this it seems like there's none except for the colours and angle. Even then the place to select your colour is really small. I noticed that if I insert or create something I can modify any part of it easily because they're vector images. I'll keep working with it maybe follow some tutorials because it's always hard at first with these editors.

• 3 months later...

Hey vchris, have you tried using the gradient mesh in Illustrator? I don't think Photoshop has that tool and it's a really nice feature in Illustrator. I made an illustration of a tea pot using the pen tool and gradient mesh and it came out looking pretty realistic. Take a look at it if you want http://www.grantportfolio.com/selection.php?val=3&id=2Illustrator also has some nice options to help you choose your color scheme. Have you looked at that?

Archived