Music editing software

kurt.santo

Looking for music editing software, which works on Vista and XP. There are so many programs out there, that I do not know which one to choose. Audacity is free, but they say it is not for beginners suitable. As I am a beginner better leave it.What I mainly want to do with it is to cut out a fragment of a track and save it as a new file. Maybe we would also like to reduce the volumne of the vocals and save a mp3 as midi. Midi files are much smaller, so maybe better suitable for the web?Kurt

MIDI isn't even a real audio format, you can't save MP3s as MIDI format. A MIDI file is a series of instructions that tell the computer's MIDI device what notes to play, their duration and instrument.As for sound editing, I think you can download a free trial version of goldwave at http://www.goldwave.com

Here we go again, got it wrong with the midi file format;-)Will check out the link you gave me. Do you know by any chance what happens when user does not use Quicktime? Adjusted the size of the Quicktime media player in a web page for a new project, so it looks ok. Do not want to mess it up for the other users...Kurt

Sometimes for me Internet Explorer uses the Windows Media Player, but it's made to adapt to basically any size its given. I usually give about 200x50 or 300x50 pixels.It should work ok with any plug-in

Audacity is also free. I like it.

Do you know by any chance what happens when user does not use Quicktime?
It will play using another plugin. If you use a QT-specific format (can't think of any audio ones though) or the client has no audio plugins on their browser, the file simply won't play.

Archived