PERL Forum

scott100

Well, there are only forums covering the tutorials shown on the website, http://www.w3schools.com
Not true. There's a forum for Cold Fusion and Java/JSP pages, and those are not covered by w3schools. We've discussed it before, whether we should make a CGI forum (Python, Perl, etc.), or several separate forums for each language, and I think we decided on postponing our decision, because there didn't seem need for one. Time to reconsider I guess. If people want a PERL forum, I'm sure we could work that out.

Not true. There's a forum for Cold Fusion and Java/JSP pages, and those are not covered by w3schools. We've discussed it before, whether we should make a CGI forum (Python, Perl, etc.), or several separate forums for each language, and I think we decided on postponing our decision, because there didn't seem need for one. Time to reconsider I guess. If people want a PERL forum, I'm sure we could work that out.
You took the words out my mouth Jonas :) There are Java and Cold Fusion forums which are not on the main site.PERL is still widely used in web development and it would seem suitable it had it's own forum.

I'm a perl person. Can't say I know everything, and I'm a do-it-yourself fanatic, so I stay away from libraries. But I'll help if I can.biggrin.gifJonas, if you're still reading, I would certainly be up for a perl forum. I know enough (in a CGI context) that I can help out the basically bewildered, so if you want to make sure there's at least one answer-person on board, I can fill that roll.

I'm a perl person. Can't say I know everything, and I'm a do-it-yourself fanatic, so I stay away from libraries. But I'll help if I can.biggrin.gifJonas, if you're still reading, I would certainly be up for a perl forum. I know enough (in a CGI context) that I can help out the basically bewildered, so if you want to make sure there's at least one answer-person on board, I can fill that roll.
Thanks for the help, it's as basic as it gets, displaying the old "hello world" script.I have tried saving my file "myscript.pl" in the cgi-bin and in public_html, it's permissions are the same as my PHP, JavaScript and CSS files so i don't think it's that. When i direct the browser to it, it doesn't work, i get a error message. The error message:Internal Server ErrorThe server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.The contents of "myscript.pl" are:#!/usr/bin/perlprint "Content-type: text/html";print "hello";Environment Variables are:Operating system LinuxApache version 1.3.37 (Unix)PERL version 5.8.8Path to PERL /usr/bin/perl

Could you also compile a post of useful (official and unofficial) resources like in these threads:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=6706http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=13338?

The error message:Internal Server ErrorThe server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.The contents of "myscript.pl" are:#!/usr/bin/perlprint "Content-type: text/html";print "hello";
I'm not a PERL programmer, but I think the line print "Content-type: text/html" should be changed to "Content-type: text/html\n\n" since you are working with headers.

I'm not a PERL programmer, but I think the line print "Content-type: text/html" should be changed to "Content-type: text/html\n\n" since you are working with headers.
mma_fighter123 has it dead on. This rule will apply equally when you send a header for AJAX messages as follows: Content-type: text/plain\n\nIf that doesn't do it, check your user/group/other permissions. If you're working from a terminal, that's your chmod function. The value you want is 755. If you have an ISP interface, as I do, you probably have a file-info screen with checkboxes or something like that. The chart below is the best looking I can come up with here:User: read, write, execGroup: read, , execOther: read, , execHope something here helps.

Could you also compile a post of useful (official and unofficial) resources like in these threads:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=6706http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=13338?
Not right away, but in time. I'd start with O'Reilly's wonderful pages and then shop around for the best site on regular expressions. Then a primer on perl applied to CGI. It's out there. I've just Googled everything without making bookmarks. Lazy, I guess. I can't imagine other users on this board don't have some they could share. How've you done that in the past? Do a general request and eventually collate the best ones into a pinned resource?Anyway, I'd be happy to get it started.

Not right away, but in time. I'd start with O'Reilly's wonderful pages and then shop around for the best site on regular expressions. Then a primer on perl applied to CGI. It's out there. I've just Googled everything without making bookmarks. Lazy, I guess. I can't imagine other users on this board don't have some they could share. How've you done that in the past? Do a general request and eventually collate the best ones into a pinned resource?Anyway, I'd be happy to get it started.
Well, with the Cold Fusion one, skemcin compiled it, because he's the resident CF'er. I did the JSP one starting from the main site, java.sun.com.So it would be like this:http://www.perl.com/pub/q/documentationhttp://www.perl.com/pub/q/FAQshttp://www.perl.com/pub/q/resourcesand then maybe some good unofficial site. I don't know anything about what's good resources or not, so there you go...

My permissions are set to 755.I added the Content-type above and i'm still seeing the same error each time i load the page :)EDITI have been doing a bit of googling and found this

One important thing to remember is to use ASCII mode when you upload scripts to the server. If you think you have everything configured properly but the script won't run, reload it using ASCII mode, just to be sure. It's a common source of error.
Maybe this is the problem? i am using a text editor supplied by joomla to create the script... How do i reload it using ASCII, will i have to upload the script with a FTP?

Well, that may well be your problem, since we've excluded just about everything else, maybe everything. Doesn't your ISP have a built-in editor? Mine does. It SUCKS but it works. I also ftp with success./*EDIT -- The following paragraph may be dead wrong*/I don't think you'll have to do anything fancy to make the conversion from binary to ascii. If you can read your text in your editor, then what you see is ascii and what you copy and paste will be ascii. (Unless it comes up in your ftp editor looking like garbage; but then you'll know.)As a last resort, try to open a new file, set the permissions, and type everything from scratch.Are there any .pl files that came in your cgi-bin directory? Maybe peek at one, carefully, without saving, and see if you notice any differences.

On second thought, some of that last post is wrong. You could end up with strange control characters, especially at newlines, that can't be seen. Mac, Windows, and Unix all have different ways of ending a line, but even copying from one editor into a "good" editor might keep the old characters.So maybe you can change the settings on your editor for that. Or change editors. And then I suggest typing from scratch. And once you have an editor that works, keep it.Oh, yeah! Expect everything to crumble if you just copy and paste directly from a webpage, for all of the above reasons.

It finally worked :) I chose ASCII and uploaded the script via FTP, refreshed the page and there it was. As a test I made some changes with my built-in editor, after a refresh the error page appeared. Guess I'm stuck using FTP but it's better than nothing :mellow: Thanks for the help guys :)

It finally worked :) I chose ASCII and uploaded the script via FTP, refreshed the page and there it was. As a test I made some changes with my built-in editor, after a refresh the error page appeared. Guess I'm stuck using FTP but it's better than nothing :mellow: Thanks for the help guys :)
We'll see about that forum when the other guys chime in.

I don't use Perl personally, but I think there would be no problem with a CGI category with a Perl forum. then the people who do use it can come to this board, contribute and also post in the other forums, and the rest of us could also learn something about technologies we wouldn't normally use. And there is always the minimize button for those who find it gets in their way...

I don't use Perl personally, but I think there would be no problem with a CGI category with a Perl forum. then the people who do use it can come to this board, contribute and also post in the other forums, and the rest of us could also learn something about technologies we wouldn't normally use. And there is always the minimize button for those who find it gets in their way...
Hmm. A CGI category, I like that...

Hmm. A CGI category, I like that...
I don't. It doesn't seem like we need that kind of separation. A single CGI forum that includes Perl and Python might be best for starters. If both languages go off to a good start, they could be separated later.

I don't. It doesn't seem like we need that kind of separation. A single CGI forum that includes Perl and Python might be best for starters. If both languages go off to a good start, they could be separated later.
How about a CGI forum under the category Server Scripting, with two subforums Perl and Python? I know it will make it easier to find the threads particularly for Perl/Python, and it will save us checking and moving threads later on. I think that's the best solution. It would look like this:post-210-1202731189_thumb.png

How about a CGI forum under the category Server Scripting, with two subforums Perl and Python? I know it will make it easier to find the threads particularly for Perl/Python, and it will save us checking and moving threads later on. I think that's the best solution. It would look like this:CGI_Perl.PNG
Sounds too odd for my kind of taste, but then again, whoever is crazy enough to use Perl will be careful enough to read the fine print.
  • Like 1

Sounds too odd for my kind of taste, but then again, whoever is crazy enough to use Perl will be careful enough to read the fine print.
:) What fine print is there to read really? You can only post in either the Perl forum we set up, or the Python (or whatever may come after, like Ruby?) forum. Not very complicated really. Pick CGI forum, and then pick spesific language forum.Don't see why people stick to CGI personally if it is true that it's so much slower than today's languages.

How about a CGI forum under the category Server Scripting, with two subforums Perl and Python? I know it will make it easier to find the threads particularly for Perl/Python, and it will save us checking and moving threads later on. I think that's the best solution. It would look like this:post-210-1202731189_thumb.png
looks good to me...

:) What fine print is there to read really? You can only post in either the Perl forum we set up, or the Python (or whatever may come after, like Ruby?) forum. Not very complicated really. Pick CGI forum, and then pick spesific language forum.Don't see why people stick to CGI personally if it is true that it's so much slower than today's languages.
Yeah, me neither. I guess it's all about what your host supports.I'm not sure how subforums go. But I guess a subforum would be a good enough idea. Still, I believe a single forum would be best.

Yeah, me neither. I guess it's all about what your host supports.I'm not sure how subforums go. But I guess a subforum would be a good enough idea. Still, I believe a single forum would be best.
A subforum looks just like a regular forum. The difference is that you make the superordinate forum functions as a category. Like, have you ever clicked on one of the category names?Server Scripting Categoryhttp://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=31