How does the ranking system work?

HighCaliber

If you're speaking of the little meter under your name - its strictly based on hte number of posts that you have submitted. Its usefulness is debatable.

Thanks Skemcin,How many posts does it take to get to level 3?

All it takes is 30 posts. But as he mentioned its value is very debatable considering someone with 30 posts has the same ranking as someone with 500....not to mention, most people (including me) do not feel that a member's value lies only in the number of posts, but in the value of each post.In some cases, rankings like these promote post wars, where people begin posting comments that are not helpful to the community but are only made to increase their count. Luckily we have been able to avoid that for the most part here.

All it takes is 30 posts. But as he mentioned its value is very debatable considering someone with 30 posts has the same ranking as someone with 500....not to mention, most people (including me) do not feel that a member's value lies only in the number of posts, but in the value of each post.In some cases, rankings like these promote post wars, where people begin posting comments that are not helpful to the community but are only made to increase their count. Luckily we have been able to avoid that for the most part here.

I agree, I was just wondering and nothing else was going on in the forums.Chris

The admin could change that in the ACP if he/she wantedAlso, the "pips" (as their offical name is) aren't the only thing that changes in Ranks, there's also a rank title. "Advanced Member" gets 3 pips by default.The Ranks on IPB are bascally useless as they do nothing. Having a seperate "Rank" and "Membergroup" was a poor decision on Matts' part (Matt is the one that created IPB).Other BBS have Ranks and Premisisons in one. On IPB ranks do nothing and Premission masks are allocated to Membergroups.Also if "Custom Titles" were enabled in the ACP (which they aren't on this board) then you could override your "Rank Title" with a custom title you set-up in your profile. However this isn't an option on this board because it wasn't enabled.

I think it should also distinguish between those who post questions and those who answer them.Someone could be an advanced member if they post 30 questions or answer 30 posts.Why not have two rankings for people, one for how many questions they post and another for how many they help with.You could even have a "rate this posts usefullness" after each reply to a post, this would allow the person who asked the original question or others to rate each of the replies that are received.... this could add or deduct to the helpers rank.Just an idea, could be abused though.

I think it should also distinguish between those who post questions and those who answer them.Someone could be an advanced member if they post 30 questions or answer 30 posts.Why not have two rankings for people, one for how many questions they post and another for how many they help with.You could even have a "rate this posts usefullness" after each reply to a post, this would allow the person who asked the original question or others to rate each of the replies that are received....  this could add or deduct to the helpers rank.Just an idea, could be abused though.

It's possible, but it would require a modification. IPB doesn't come standard like that. Someone would have to write a modification for it.

IMO, a ranking system isn't in any way needed. A new member can know just as much as a member who has been here longer, but just haven't proven himself yet. What if, over rank, people rather ask/listen to one person than the other?

Instead of a ranksystem, I would like to see, in the profile, a list of which areas you are good at. Of course, it would have to be selfproclaimed, but it would help a bit as for who you would want to ask for help on what area. As long as people are honest and don't brag, it would be a cool system.

Instead of a ranksystem, I would like to see, in the profile, a list of which areas you are good at. Of course, it would have to be selfproclaimed, but it would help a bit as for who you would want to ask for help on what area. As long as people are honest and don't brag, it would be a cool system.

There could be some kind of test that you take to qualify as good in certain areas. It would have to have a time limit or something to prevent cheating. That would at least help a little as to preventing bragging.Chris

You can do that now actually :) (what I mean by that is, no modification needed.)create custom fields in the ACP and they'll show up in the Additional Information section of your profile.You could put a title like "Skills" and a text area for people to fill in with things like "php, asp, xhtml, js, etc."You just need someone with administrator premissions to do it *never sees admins online* :)

You can do that now actually :) (what I mean by that is, no modification needed.)create custom fields in the ACP and they'll show up in the Additional Information section of your profile.You could put a title like "Skills" and a text area for people to fill in with things like "php, asp, xhtml, js, etc."You just need someone with administrator premissions to do it *never sees admins online* :)

I know you can do it now. What I meant with my post was, I want to see it done. kaijim is online at times, usually on mondays if I remember correctly. It's mostly up to us to see to it that this place runs smoothly. If you have a suggestion you feel is urgent to make happen, you can send him a pm, but for general board matters, it's preferred you ask us.