.htaccess and friendly urls

aspnetguy

I need a bit of help with url rewriting.I have a couple possible url formatssite.com/Pages/Edit/1site.com/Pages/ListI have the following .htaccess file

Options +FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>  RewriteEngine On  # uncomment the following line, if you are having trouble  # getting no_script_name to work  #RewriteBase /	# If requested resource does not exist as a file	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d		RewriteRule ^(.*)/(.*) index.php?controller=$1&action=$2	</IfModule># big crash from our front web controllerErrorDocument 500 "<h2>Application error</h2>website failed to start properly"

this file works great for site.com/Pages/List style urls but fail for site.com/Pages/Edit/1What I want is site.com/{1}/{2}/{3} where it translates to site.com/index.php?controller={1}&action={2}&value={3}Can someone help me out? Thanks.

It looks like you left out the third parameter, wouldn't you just add that to the end?RewriteRule ^(.*)/(.*) index.php?controller=$1&action=$2&value=$3
The problem is there isn't always 3 parameters. I know my current file doesn't handle 3 it only handles 2 right now. How do I set it up to hanlde either 2 or 3 parameters (i.e. $3 doesn't always exist.)

I'm not sure, I haven't done a lot of htaccess stuff. Does it give an error if there isn't a third parameter? You might be able to add more than one rule and it might match the first one that succeeds, not sure if that's how it works or not.RewriteRule ^(.*)/(.*) index.php?controller=$1&action=$2&value=$3RewriteRule ^(.*)/(.*) index.php?controller=$1&action=$2

I'm not sure, I haven't done a lot of htaccess stuff. Does it give an error if there isn't a third parameter? You might be able to add more than one rule and it might match the first one that succeeds, not sure if that's how it works or not.RewriteRule ^(.*)/(.*) index.php?controller=$1&action=$2&value=$3RewriteRule ^(.*)/(.*) index.php?controller=$1&action=$2
I tried successive rules and it gives errors (not sure what errors now). After that I resorted tot he file I have now. My plan was if there were three parameters it would do this index.php?contoller=Pages&action=Edit/1 except my current file does this index.php?contoller=Pages/Edit&action=1. I did get this sorted out though and I also have a suggestion from another forum that with assigned value= if there isn't a 3rd parameter. I let you know how that works out when I get a chance to test it. Thanks for the help.

Try also adding the $ terminating character to the end of the first parameter - I found that sometimes the engine can get confused between the first and second parameters if you omit it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived