Python?

aszxcv

My opinion is that it's not as hard as C++ and not as easy as PHP. I have been reading the Python documentation lately and it has some nice syntax. Python is a functional programming language. Lambdas are a good example of the syntax sugar that Pytho has. Django is a nice MVC framework for Python and IMO is a better choice than RoR.

why would site use pytthon over say c++ or php etc..?
a) The developer/s have better knowledge of Python than other languages:) The developer/s like itc) It has features that make it useful to the site (could also be a particular library / framework)d) Its suited to their architecture / hardware / softwaree) Its faster than PHPEtc.

I think it is a misconception that Python is faster than PHP. Python has been optimized for mathematical algorithms so in that respect it will blow PHP out of the water but if you compare which language can server more web pages in a period of time you find that PHP is noticeably faster.

• 2 years later...

Python is a few years older than PHP, Ruby is about the same age. A lot of younger businesses and developers are very fired up about them. I am not certain, but I do not believe the default installation of either language comes close to the built-in stuff offered by PHP. Maybe if you like including a lot of external libraries, the way you have to in C or Perl, that wouldn't be so bad.I personally dislike languages delimited by whitespace (Python) or that use end statements (Ruby). But that's pretty personal. I CAN program in Visual Basic and its ilk, but I do not like it.

Ruby on Rails is supposed to integrate well in shops that feature Rapid App Development and Agile Development. I don't know much about that stuff. I just hack.Maybe you'd get a better feel for these languages is you dropped in on some boards devoted to them.

Edited by Deirdre's Dad

• 2 weeks later...

Meh... I only really see people use Python for projects that want to mix web and native development together seamlessly. Python is more of a gluing language, to glue projects together. PHP has eclipsed Python on the web/CGI scene but Python can run as a native program in the interpreter or even compiled into C/C++ further compiled into an executable/app. It's also more extendable then PHP, you can write your own modules/plug ins and through libraries or even writing some C++ to add to the interpreter[?]. It's popular as well as ruby because they are quick to develop with and enjoyable.It's a nice language, I prefer DD doesn't like it due to it's use of whitespace but I must say it's better then languages that use end statements. The only real annoyance with whitespace syntax is when using different text editors/interpretors as a tab is defined as different amounts of spaces in each.For a web crawler I would defiantly use Python over PHP. But then you have to take into account your platform you'll be running it on. If your web crawling from your PC then it's great with Python, but some web host don't even support Python.*NOTE: Becareful what version of Python you play with. Version 3, which is the newest, was a complete rewrite. The whole language's API and core functions were written. So V2 code isn't compatible with V3. Alot of people just use V2.*

Edited by ApocalypeX

• 1 month later...

I worked with Python a bit on my server, but I would rather go with PHP or Ruby or JSP, *don't like ASP that much* and maybe some Flash AS3. It proves the fact that Python is not so much used as web server language, as a matter of fact ModPython support and development have stopped. Python would fail against PHP with ease, but PHP would fail against Python in complex math based equations. Working with Python would be pretty much same thing as working with Perl, pain in the ###### when code gets bigger and bigger and more library's are required. Its not whatever one language is better then the other its about the person who's creating the code and for his reasons why. Every language has its limitations its amazing sides and its much more annoying sides. But in any case Python can serve as a nice desktop based application/program and given that it can communicate to web server you can achieve allot with that alone."Python is the hardest programming language..." well not really, every language is hard if you don't know anything about it. I find Python much easier then C++ or VB. It same thing as some one can say that "PHP is so hard to work with" well my reply to that be "Lol, you sure? Have you tried working with Perl?"So ye I hope you get the point of my post ^^

• 3 months later...

My limited experience has been that hardcore programmers (i.e. people that love to PROGRAM) love Python. People that deal with servers and Microsoft crm technology. People that deal with websites and email don't tend to use it, or talk about it much. I don't know anything about people using it as a gluing agent for other programs. It's apparently faster to learn in some cases.

Edited by Head

• 7 years later...