HTML Tutorial and Reference

kaijim

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest osageavatar
Before you ask a question in this forum, you should check out our HTML Tutorial.For our HTML Tutorial: W3Schools HTML TutorialFor a complete HTML Reference: W3Schools HTML Reference

Greetings, I have checked out the turorials, and I am a bit confused about something trivial. I am very new at this game :) so here goes. In order to test my HTML page I can just save it on a browser and then open it, or so I have to upload to a server to test them??? :(:)

You can test out the page you are making without having to upload the page to a server, so you CAN do it from your destop. But if are doing that, then images that are linked relative will not show up on that page .

You can test out the page you are making without having to upload the page to a server, so you CAN do it from your destop. But if are doing that, then images that  are linked relative will not show up on that page .

If you have the images on your computer, then there shouldn't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Gandor

HelloI have read tutorial and it is great. You have done realy nice work :) However, i found one problem that was not explained (or i haven`t noticed it). I wanted to have one background picture that will not repeat itself AND will fullfill whole background (I mean one small picture that has width and height 100%...).Can you help me how can i do that? thank you :)

HelloI have read tutorial and it is great. You have done realy nice work  :) However, i found one problem that was not explained (or i haven`t noticed it). I wanted to have one background picture that will not repeat itself AND will fullfill whole background (I mean one small picture that has width and height 100%...).Can you help me how can i do that? thank you :)

No it's not covered so don't worry.You cant do it the way you are probably thinking:
body{  background-image:url('bg.jpg');  width:100%;  height:100%;}

This wont work :blink: Basically you have to use a div to contain and stretch the image.Then use another div (that sits on top of the previous one) for page content.This gives the illusion of a normal page with a backround and content. :) credit to cssplay for this solution: http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/background.html :blink: Here is my "chopped" version which you might find a little easier to implement:http://scott100.atspace.com/Background_Stretch.htm :blink:

• 1 month later...

Hi,I feel it is best to use the forums, because it is more live if you know what I mean, people can answer your questions, whereas it is sometimes harder to follow a tutorial.And also someone is bound to know about what you need to know on here!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello,I tried my best not to trouble you guys with simple questions. Below I pasted instructions from the tutorial on this post. I got the first two lines down to a science1) If you are running Windows, start Notepad.2) If you are on a Mac, start SimpleText.The next line and on is where I threw in the towel.3) In OSX start TextEdit and change the following preferences: Open the the "Format" menu and select "Plain text" instead of "Rich text". Then open the "Preferences" window under the "Text Edit" menu and select "Ignore rich text commands in HTML files". Your HTML code will probably not work if you do not change the preferences above!What is and where do I find the OSX? If I can find the OSX I believe I can follow from there. I am running Windows XP. Is there anyway whatsoever you can help me? I really need to learn HTML and I will not give up until I succeed. We will not worry about step 4 at this time. I just need to know where the OSX is.Thanks James

• 1 month later...
Hello,I tried my best not to trouble you guys with simple questions. Below I pasted instructions from the tutorial on this post. I got the first two lines down to a science1) If you are running Windows, start Notepad.2) If you are on a Mac, start SimpleText.The next line and on is where I threw in the towel.3) In OSX start TextEdit and change the following preferences: Open the the "Format" menu and select "Plain text" instead of "Rich text". Then open the "Preferences" window under the "Text Edit" menu and select "Ignore rich text commands in HTML files". Your HTML code will probably not work if you do not change the preferences above!What is and where do I find the OSX? If I can find the OSX I believe I can follow from there. I am running Windows XP. Is there anyway whatsoever you can help me? I really need to learn HTML and I will not give up until I succeed. We will not worry about step 4 at this time. I just need to know where the OSX is.Thanks James
Mac is another kind of computer and an operating system (OS). Mac OSX is a version of that OS, just like XP is just another version of Windows. You have Windows XP, so that doesn't concern you in any way.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...