Member Survey

Chocolate570

How are the moderators doing?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. How are the moderators doing?

• GREAT, they do an excellent job.
    • GOOD I guess. Never knew we had any.
    • GOOD, rarely see them.
    • GOOD, a little active, but doing well.
    • GOOD, over active but I can live with it
    • OK, a little active, but doing well.
    • OK, over active but I can live with it
    • BAD, rarely see them.
    • HORRIBLE, never knew we had any.

"GREAT, they do an excellent job."But.. with moderators dou mean also administrators? If yes: I think admins should come here, sometime. Now, for what I can see, this forum seems to be abandoned to himself (mhh, I think 'himself' is not the correct english word! :)).

"GREAT, they do an excellent job."But.. with moderators dou mean also administrators? If yes: I think admins should come here, sometime. Now, for what I can see, this forum seems to be abandoned to himself (mhh, I think 'himself' is not the correct english word! :)).
Correct word would be itself, but the statement is wrong. The forum is not abandoned to itself. The poll is only for moderator performance, not administrator, and was something we set up from the start to reflect on how we were doing. The admin doesn't come here a lot, no, but don't worry, we [the mods] have access to most of the controls we need to manage the board...

• 3 months later...
I think the moderators do a pretty good job except for that aspnetguy :) j/k :)
And you evidence for this is?...In my opinion AspNetGuy Rocks!!

• 9 months later...

I hardly see moderator actions themselves, aside from a couple edits removing links and whatnot. Other than that, I don't see anything. That could quite possibly be because most of what moderators do is delete spam and move posts. I've had a post moved before, and it was no inconvenience to me at all. I was informed of it kindly and was given an explanation why. I think the moderators do their job well. I have yet to see any explicit or offensive posts. The moderators must get there before I do, Then again, that could partly be the help of good posters reporting bad posts as well. Hmmm.... oh well. Overall, the mods rock, the good hearted posters rock, and these forums rock!

• 2 weeks later...
active as posters who are also, as it so happens to be, mods.
One of the best group of Moderators I have seen. Excellent work.I Mod or Admin at several Forums, and I know the effort you need to make to have such a large Forum work flawlessly. Kudos to all of the Mods here at w3schools.

They are so helpful to me even with my noobiest questionsModerators I'd like to recognize in particularIngolmejustsomeguyThey are always there with the correct answer and it really just makes my life easier knowing that they have the correct answer ^^good job guysedit: Just looked at ingolme's profile and realized that he was in fact NOT a moderator...hmm weird he strikes me as a moderator..whatever

They are so helpful to me even with my noobiest questionsModerators I'd like to recognize in particularIngolmejustsomeguy
lolGH4 demonstrates how peaceful the moderators are - hardly distinguishable from ordinary members :)

In fact, justsomeguy isn't a moderator either.I think the moderators do a good job. This is the most peaceful forum I've ever been to.
Well I can't imagine the sort of people who come on here are people who want to start fights usually. :)

Well I can't imagine the sort of people who come on here are people who want to start fights usually. :)
You'd be surprised. Not that it happens here often - it doesn't, especially compared to other forums I've moderated. Early on we had a few hot heads that either left, got banned, or have settled in and realized that no one is perfect and/or that there is always more than on correct and incorrect way to code a page.In any respect, all the active members here are well behaved and well-mannered individuals that only occasionally need a little suggestive guidance.Thanks for all the kind responses everyone has posted. We started this thread to give members an opportunity to provide the feedback we would need to be the best moderators we could for you.

Oh I've seen plenty in other forums, but I mean as a whole we're pretty peaceful here. *looks around suspiciously*That must have happened between the time I was away then, the closest situation I've seen like that is the guy who claimed a tutorial was written wrong. :/justsomeguy isn't a moderator, he's..well just some guy. ^^

Flamewars start because of a disagreement on opinions. While I guess there are a few opinions here, like tables vs. divs, or favorite browser (I realize we all agree that Opera is the best browser in the world), or favorite text editor (clearly ConTEXT is superior) most of the stuff discussed here is fact. I mean, it's hard to start a flamewar about the correct syntax of PHP's strpos function or how cookies work. Believe me, I've tried.

justsomeguy isn't a moderator, he's..well just some guy.
You are correct, sir.

Flamewars start because of a disagreement on opinions. While I guess there are a few opinions here, like tables vs. divs, or favorite browser (I realize we all agree that Opera is the best browser in the world), or favorite text editor (clearly ConTEXT is superior) most of the stuff discussed here is fact. I mean, it's hard to start a flamewar about the correct syntax of PHP's strpos function or how cookies work. Believe me, I've tried.
lol - no argument on the browser hey - lol - what is conTEXT.:)In all sincerity, you're absolutely right, it is hard to start a disbute over something that is fact driven.
Are you serious? justsomeguy isnt a moderator? WTF lol,
You might be confusing moderator with facilitator or someone who is simply (and thankfully) a very active member of the community. Might I also take the opportunity to add just how valuable a member that guy is. He may be just some guy to you, but he's been more than that for the community.

I think the most important thing is though you have your preference, be open to opinion and balanced arguements really, which is what I like about this place. There isn't really a whole supremacy kind of feel, there's always more than one answer etc.Hmmm Opera <3.And he is valuable to the community, his name just shows he's humble. :)

You'd be surprised. Not that it happens here often - it doesn't, especially compared to other forums I've moderated. Early on we had a few hot heads that either left, got banned, or have settled in and realized that no one is perfect and/or that there is always more than on correct and incorrect way to code a page.
Yeah, I never expected this to be a "hot" forum with heated discussions, because let's face it, the topics are not very controversial and we are all just trying to learn here. :)
In any respect, all the active members here are well behaved and well-mannered individuals that only occasionally need a little suggestive guidance.
In short, you guys make our job easy. :)
Thanks for all the kind responses everyone has posted. We started this thread to give members an opportunity to provide the feedback we would need to be the best moderators we could for you.
Hopefully, and seemingly from the positive responses, we have achieved this.
And he is valuable to the community, his name just shows he's humble. :)
Or maybe he just started with that name because he had no expectations either way. Little did he know he would turn out to be more than justsomeguy, but rather one of our most active and helpful members... :(

He may be just some guy to you, but he's been more than that for the community.
Agreed. His activity here is greatly appreciated. A terrific member. Truly a jewel. Pay attention when he replies. You will learn loads from his words. I have.

Does that mean one of you guys will be made redundant? :)
Don't think so, no. Three makes a majority possible in a referendum (whatever the topic might be), two would make a stale-mate never leading to decisions, and one would make a dictatorship, which nobody wants... :)Plus, it's useful to be more than one or two, so that when one moderator goes unactive for a while, such as for instance during exam studying, or while recently having fathered his third son, there's someone to cover the vacuum.

Just wanted to add my two cents worth of the dollar.I guess it's good we don't notice your footprints much, but it's a good thing your there behind the scenes doing what you do, and still take the time to help those in need. I have nothing but good things to say about you "Modulators".Truth is, all you guys, and girls (just in case, don't want to offend anyone) Moderator or not, this is an awesome forum, and to ALL of you, THANK YOU.Now about that ... What's his name again, you know, that guy ... I don't know, he's justsomeguy, Nija warrior dude or something ...Thanks man, You rock!!Peace,Elemental