white on black

djp1988

white writing on black  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Good or bad for your eyes, and visitors?

• Bad
    • Good

not a technical question, just your opinion on white writing on black background, personally, it burns my eyes. especially if there's a bit of red in there

I'm not a big fan of white on black either, but it doesn't really cause me any "harm"; it's just bland. I personally prefer a light green, light blue, or even silver on a black background, since it's easy on the eyes.

I would use #BBB for black. White for emphasized or header text, maybe.I don't know of any studies that have conclusively proved a link between white text on a black background and eye damage though.

Ok, thanks, so you would have voted, 'indifferent' if you had the choice rather then GOOD ?Synook I love your signiature: "Bones: HTML; Skin: CSS; Muscle: JavaScript; Brains: PHP; Memory: MySQL" Very true, and this will be my argument to my friend who REFUSES to learn or use any JavaScript in favour of 'Design' :@

Before I became a Web Designer I was a 'Print' Designer and dwelled in the editorial world for many years and at one point I found an article that addressed this subject head on.The article (from an Editorial and Design perspective) stated that there was actually no difference in the difficulty or comfortableness in reading black text on white background or white text on black background (called something as 'reserved text'), that the Advertising ads tested resulted in similar results and not favoring (considerably) one color mix over the other. The black text on black background had only a couple of decimals over the other method.And although many of you would say "Well, print is different than looking at your screen..." and all that, if you handle the white on black properly you can actually create really cool looking web designs while keeping a normal level of comfortableness to read on your text. Nonetheless, using dark colors as backgrounds is a little more risky in terms of choosing the right balance of colors... because I thought we all already knew that: red text (paragraph text, not titles... titles might work ok) and black background DO NOT go together, at all.Hope this helps.Bytes.

well I seem to find that white text as in 12 pixel size, on black background, I see it blurry, so clear, but i can read okay, just after a minute, it hurts my eyes

well I seem to find that white text as in 12 pixel size, on black background, I see it blurry, so clear, but i can read okay, just after a minute, it hurts my eyes
Well, it does well for the high contrast accessibility stuff, which is something in its favour. I can't admit to being a great fan but then I find it very difficult to read off a white background when I'm reading on-screen as opposed to reading on-page. It's all something to do with light ... I found an article on it a while ago but I can't find it now. Was a very interesting read though.

I don't have issues with black and white as long as it's used in a more sophisticated or artistic way.I read through the comments and I understand what some people are saying with eyes hurting, bland etc. but I think that's just basic design problems for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...

Black on White is ok as long as its not in huge quantities. e.g. no 600 x 600px black squares on a white backer. However red on white does strain my eyes and I think it is a bad design choice.

Archived