Trouble With HTML Table Layout

holmedwa04

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not just get a dot com? They are only ~$8 a year. What domain are you thinking of?

Why not just get a dot com? They are only ~$8 a year. What domain are you thinking of?
I don't want to have to pay though, because what I have got already is free. www.goathland.com, .co.uk, .info and .org are already take so there are no good ones left now :) I will just stick with what I have got.I did come up with a brainwave thought...Browser sniffing! If the user is using IE 6 then it could re-direct back to the original site:http://www.hosting.burrawcentral.org/goathlandinstead of the re-direct link which is:www.goathland.co.rnSo most people that view the site will see the re-direct but if using IE 6 they will see the actual link? Maybe, would this idea work? Let me know if you have any ideas on this, because I haven't got the fogiest how I would go about coding such a thing? I was thinking in terms of something that would work in my CSS? Because I know you can get CSS things that change the apperance of a site depending on the broswer you are using.

I've never tried this, so I'm only guessing that it might work. Use a META statement to redirect the page. But put it inside an IE conditional statement. Then the meta statement only gets read if the version is less than 7.

Ok, I have been looking around and have managed to cobble together the following code:

<!--[if IE]><META http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=http://www.hosting.burrawcentral.org/goathland"><![endif]-->

But I am having problems with it because it just keeps refreshing and not staying in the one place. Plus it doesn't take it back to the link I have specified. It takes it back to goathland.co.nr for some reason.And finally I have heard that this is bad because when the user tries to click the back button it puts them in a loop and they can't go back without clicking the drop down.

Well, it was the only client-side technology I could think of without using javascript. You could do it in PHP. You could do it in javascript too. But there's no CSS mechanism for this. So what's your preference?

Well, it was the only client-side technology I could think of without using javascript. You could do it in PHP. You could do it in javascript too. But there's no CSS mechanism for this. So what's your preference?
I really don't mind, I suppose Javascript really, and then if people have Javascript disabled it will just display with the scroll bar.

No sorry, this just refreshes the page very quickly. It does seem to only be doing it in IE which is good. Not sure about 7 though. As I can't run 6 and 7 parallel.I have found out why. Because it is taking it back to the index which then obviously does the refresh again. So the only way to stop it that I have found is to specify a target of _parent, but I don't know how to do this in Java and I know it is redundant in HTML 4.01 Strict.

This does exactly the same unfortunately, so I have moved to this code:

<!--[if lte IE 6]><script type="text/javascript">if(top.location != self.location) top.location = self.location;</script><![endif]-->

The only little problem I have now is that I can't go back unless I click the drop down box on the back button, which I know people don't like doing when it locks them onto a site.

Do you think that the back button problem is an issue? I find it really annoying when on a website and someone has made the code so that you can't go back to the page that you were previously on. I suppose this is only going to happen to people that are using IE 6 because the script is only operational in that browser and if they wish they can click the little drop down to see pages that they have recently visited. What do you think, any solutions or code would be much appreciated.Kindest Regards Edward

I think you're in a situation that leaves you with limited options. That said, I think the number of affected users will be small. Not only do they have to be IE6 users (growing fewer every day) but they also have to actually use the Back button while visiting your site. I'd move on to the next thing. :)

I couldn't agree with you more to be honest. Google Chrome for the win! So... the next thing is print style sheets not working... actually maybe I should end this thread, it hardly seems appropriate to continue it when I am not even talking about table based layout any more! :)

Archived