Updating / Editing Software Authored Websites

Elemental

Hey Folks, It's been a while, Hope all are well and thriving...I've been asked to do a small Flash enhancement to an existing website, a small link and then a couple of pages with more Flash Elements, and upon seeing the mark-up I noticed that it was created using Adobe GoLive due to the following tag <csscriptdict> and a Google search that lead me to the following page: http://www.adobe.com/products/golive/I know that GoLive has been discontinued but my question has to do with editing any website created using Web Authoring Software; GoLive, Dreamweaver, Front Page, etc.Using only HTML / CSS and the like, can these types of websites be edited without the software used to create them? Is there a back door, if you will, to do this in the event that the answer is YES?Peace,Elemental

You can certainly edit sites made with software like frontpage and dreamweaver without needing the software as long as you are careful to avoid adjusting code linked to items running with frontpage extensions. I quite often see people hacking into code made with frontpage then wondering why the hitcounter has stopped working.Adding flash elements is relatively simple as long as you can find the section of code where you want to add the flash.

You can certainly edit sites made with software like frontpage and dreamweaver without needing the software as long as you are careful to avoid adjusting code linked to items running with frontpage extensions. I quite often see people hacking into code made with frontpage then wondering why the hitcounter has stopped working.Adding flash elements is relatively simple as long as you can find the section of code where you want to add the flash.
problemhelpplease, Thanks for the reply.I was told that when you create a site using dreamweaver, for example, the codes linked to the buttons can't be edited simply with html know how, that the program was required to do the work. That said, and I know nothing about dreamweaver, yet, the same person also used a template to create the site; could that be the reason behind the comment?I use html templates that I create and then edit them accordingly but since I also use Flash for some content I understand that the code I may use within Flash is not editable outside of the Flash environment, is this not the same with dreamweaver or even Golive?Peace,Elemental

Welcome to the problems generated by using non-standard application-specific code.if the site doesn't need GoLive then just scrap the code and just leave proper elements.HTML is editable anywhere, being written in plain text. Flash is proprietory and the source files are not plain-text, so you need a special editor (e.g. Flash) to edit them.

Archived