Interactive Desktop

AnonymousX

I apologize that this is not directly web related. I've just received a request to create a desktop wallpaper that includes a timer that counts down to a scheduled event. I know that Windows XP had a way to use web-based interactive desktops, but that Vista has removed that feature. As this request is for a computer running Vista, using the web-based interactive desktop is not an option.I don't expect somebody to know exactly how to do this (but if you do, that's great!). I'm merely looking for somebody to point me in a direction.

• 9 months later...

Do you mean a desktop that is a web page?A search on Google revealed this thingy. I haven't tried it, because frankly, I always hated that feature. But if you really wanted, go ahead.P.S. Internet Explorer (8?) does not come with this.

You already can if you have XP.
As this request is for a computer running Vista, using the web-based interactive desktop is not an option.

As I said, I'm pretty sure IE 5 introduced that feature and it was added later on to SP2. So if you are able to download IE 5 you may be able to get it.
Windows Vista includes IE7, and doesn't let you install earlier IE versions. And IE 5, AFAIK, was bundled with Windows 98, and can't be installed on Windows XP, which includes IE6 (which, like you say, includes this feature too, but again - it can't be installed on Vista).

Archived