Need Vb Advice - Adding Last 3 Logged In Users To Group(s) And Custom Users.

thudo

Essentially, I've created the following to add to our environment three users to a desktop: BKRADM, CTC_ITSPRT, MUSR_MQADMIN then make two groups: mqm and mqbrkrs, then put those three users into those two groups. My problem is:Based on the script below how do I..1) Add to groups mqm and mqbrkrs the last three logged in users to that local machine I run the vb script on and..2) Manually add in domain users where I want to add to, say, the mqm group a user CORP\tom.jones and CORP\bertha.matt (both users are in our network domain and not local users to the computer so its critical to have the CORP\ there also). I can add local users but no idea how to add CORP\ domain users.

'Set System to ignore errors and continueOn Error Resume Next'Declare Variable for Shell ObjectDim WshShellSet WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")'Declare Variable for Network ObjectDim WshNetSet WshNet = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")'Declare Variable for Filesystem ObjectDim WshFileSysSet WshFileSys = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")'Set Constants for file access (read, write, append)Const ForReading = 1, ForWriting = 2, ForAppending = 8'Declare Variable for Network ObjectDim net, local, objUser2, objUser3, objDomain, UserID, ObjNetSet net = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")local = net.ComputerNameobjDomain = net.UserDomainobjUser3 = net.UserNameSet UserID = objDomain & "\" & objUser3'WScript.Echo UserIDSet colAccounts = GetObject("WinNT://" & local & ",computer")Set objUser = colAccounts.Create("user", "BKRADM")objUser.SetPassword "P@ssw0rd"objUserFlags = objUser.Get("UserFlags")'Password will never expire!objPasswordExpirationFlag = objUserFlags OR ADS_UF_DONT_EXPIRE_PASSWDobjUser.Put "userFlags", objPasswordExpirationFlag objUser.SetInfoSet colAccounts = GetObject("WinNT://" & local & ",computer")Set objUser1 = colAccounts.Create("user", "CTC_ITSPRT")objUser1.SetPassword "P@ssw0rd"objUserFlags = objUser.Get("UserFlags")objUser1.SetInfoConst ADS_UF_DONT_EXPIRE_PASSWD = &h10000Set colAccounts = GetObject("WinNT://" & local & ",computer")Set objUser2 = colAccounts.Create("user", "MUSR_MQADMIN")objUser2.SetPassword "P@ssw0rd"objUserFlags = objUser.Get("UserFlags")'Password will never expire!objPasswordExpirationFlag = objUserFlags OR ADS_UF_DONT_EXPIRE_PASSWDobjUser2.Put "userFlags", objPasswordExpirationFlag objUser2.SetInfoSet colAccounts = GetObject("WinNT://" & local & "")Set objGroup = colAccounts.Create("group", "mqm")objGroup.SetInfoSet colAccounts = GetObject("WinNT://" & local & "")Set objGroup = colAccounts.Create("group", "mqbrkrs")objGroup.SetInfoSet ObjGroup = GetObject("WinNT://" & local & "/mqm,group")objGroup.Add(ObjUser2.ADsPath)Set UserID = objDomain & "/" & objUser3Set ObjNet = GetObject("WinNT://" & objDomain & "/" & objUser3 & ",user")Set ObjGroup = GetObject("WinNT://" & local & "/mqbrkrs,group")objGroup.Add(ObjUser2.ADsPath)objGroup.Add(ObjNet.ADsPath)objGroup.Add(ObjUser.ADsPath)objGroup.Add(ObjUser1.ADsPath)Set objUser = GetObject("WinNT://" & objDomain & "/" & objUser2)Set ObjGroup = GetObject("WinNT://" & local & "/mqm,group")objGroup.Add(ObjUser2.ADsPath)objGroup.Add(ObjNet.ADsPath)objGroup.Add(ObjUser.ADsPath)objGroup.Add(ObjUser1.ADsPath)

Thanks VB forums community!

Found out how to get it to work adding domain users to the specific groups. Script looks like:

Dim net, local, objUser, objDomain, UserID, ObjNetSet net = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")local = net.ComputerNameobjUser = net.UserNameSet objGroup = GetObject("WinNT://" & local & "/<group to add user to>")Set objUser = GetObject("WinNT://<our domain>/<user to add>")objGroup.Add(objUser.ADsPath)

Now I need a script to add the last three logged in users to the PC to a group rather than fixed names as above. Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nobody from this great community re: The VB script simply needs to take the last 3 logged in users based on the date the script is run, and dump those 3 users to 2 specific groups. The 3 users must be designated in a domain when dumped (ie. CORP\test.user).

• 1 month later...

Update.. for the community here is my final script that works..

Option ExplicitDim objFSO, arrProfileAge, colFolders, objFolder, intRecord, intDomainAccts, objUser, objGroupSet objFSO = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")Set arrProfileAge = CreateObject("System.Collections.ArrayList")Set colFolders = objFSO.GetFolder("C:\Documents and Settings").SubFolders' Loop through the folders to get the DateLastModifiedFor Each objFolder in colFoldersSelect Case UCase(objFolder.Name)Case "ADMINISTRATOR", "ALL USERS", "DEFAULT USER", "LOCALSERVICE", "NETWORKSERVICE"	 ' Do Nothing, exclude these profilesCase Else	 ' Get the difference in minutes between the modified date and Now and add to array	 arrProfileAge.Add DateDiff("N", objFolder.DateLastModified, Now)End SelectNextarrProfileAge.Sort() 'Sort the array ASCENDINGintRecord = 0intDomainAccts = 0' Loop until all items checked or script found 5 domain accountsDo Until intRecord = arrProfileAge.Count Or intDomainAccts = 5'Loop through the folders again and find the folders that are the least minutes or latest modifiedFor Each objFolder in colFolders	If DateDiff("N", objFolder.DateLastModified, Now) = arrProfileAge(intRecord) Then		 'Check to see if the account is local or domain		 On Error Resume Next		 Set objUser = GetObject("WinNT://CORP/" & objFolder.Name)		 If Err.Number = 0 Then			 Set objGroup = GetObject("WinNT://./mqm")			 objGroup.Add(objUser.ADsPath)			 Set objGroup = GetObject("WinNT://./mqbrkrs")			 objGroup.Add(objUser.ADsPath)			 intDomainAccts = intDomainAccts + 1 'Increment because domain account found		 End If		 On Error GoTo 0	End IfNextintRecord = intRecord + 1 'Increment to look at next itemLoop

. The above takes the last many users logged into the PC using C:\documents and settings as the LastModifiedDate guide then puts them into two local security groups. Our domain is called CORP.

Archived