Execute Mailto With Form Input

wcology

so i know nothing about PHP and after looking around tutorials I'm still trying to get familiar with the dollar signs and all that. anyway I've got a form, looks like this:28jh7kp.pngexcept I've replaced the link with a button, and my question is, how do I construct the php code so that on clicking the button, the browser will launch a mail program like it does with "mailto" with preset text it and the form inputs at the end?

The dollar signs are strings.I would love to help, but I have to go to school this very moment.If you're question hasn't been answered when I get back I will do so ;-).

The dollar signs declare a variable. I.e $thisIsAVariable, and thisIsNotAVariable.If you simply want to open a mail client then continue to use a href="mailto:..., However, if you want to send the info entered in your form to a mail recipient, you'll need to harness the mail() function.Gather the form info using $_POST[fieldname] variables andadd them and several headers to the mail function and submit.for more info http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

so im guessing the php code should look something like this?

<?php// The message$message = "preset text message here with form input afterwards";// Sendmail('mail recipient', 'My Subject', $message);?>

how do i link it so that it grabs input from the form?

ok here's what I have so far:HTML:

<form id="form1" name="form1" method="post" action="join.php">  <div><br />    First name:     <input name="first" type="text" value="what do you go by" onfocus="this.value=''"/>    <br />    <br />    Last name:    <input name="last" type="text" value="your family name" onfocus="this.value=''"/>    <br />    <br />    <input name="Submit" type="submit" value="Drop us an email" />  </div></form>

and in join.php

<?php$first = $_POST['first'];$last = $_POST['last'];$to      = 'nobody@example.com';$message = 'subscribe ucso $first $last';mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);?>

does this work?

subject is required....try

<?php$first = $_POST['first'];$last = $_POST['last'];$to = 'nobody@example.com';$subject = 'subscription'$message = 'subscribe ucso'. $first .' '. $last;mail($to, $subscribe, $message);?>

No. A variable can be assigned a value or be null. Like so:

<?php$subject = ""; // $subject is null as in no value$subject = "Subscribe!"; // now $subject has a value!?>

Actually, variables are only NULL when they are not declared or assigned null. When they have zero-length content they are empty. For example:Source:

<?php	$string;	var_dump($string);	echo "<br>";	$string = "";	var_dump($string);	echo "<br>";	$string = "test";	var_dump($string);	echo "<br>";	$string = null;	var_dump($string);?>

Output:

Notice: Undefined variable: string in C:\wamp\www\lab\tests\null.php on line 3NULL string(0) "" string(4) "test" NULL

Archived