Code ---> Hosting

hamlet_giragosian

(disclaimer: i am relatively new to html) hey dudes, so i have my code all written up and ready to go (you see, i have made a very simple website, and i would like to get it hosted). how do i go about getting my site hosted. the code is with me and ready to go; in fact, i have all the pages of the site neatly organized in a folder on my desktop. can anyone help me? i sure this is not hard at all. thank you.

you know what, i actually have Media Temple in mind for the hosting service. i guess what i was trying to find out is what the whole "uploading" process is like. how do i get my code into the host's hands? they can probably answer this if i go to them, right? and one more thing: what are the benefits of getting my code hosted for free (aside from the fact that i don't pay crap)? any disadvantages?

Not really. Some hosts limited your bandwidth (the amount of space that people can use to view your site over a certain period). Try getting one that allows at least 5 GB of transfer a month. Media Temple is good and all but start small first. Let people view your site first. Let it get more attention. ;-)As for your question on getting files to a server, people have devised programs that allow you to send your files to a host via a method called FTP (File Transfer Protocol). Kinda like HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol), the way you and I see web pages. You can search Google for free FTP programs. I have used FileZilla and it worked great. I currently use FireFTP, a Firefox plugin that works right in the browser! The webhost should tell you what their FTP server's name is and your username/password as well. Just plug that in to the program and upload your files to the host! More reading on FTP

Archived