?arg=value

roundcorners

Hi, thanks in advance for being patient. I'm very new to php.I am using an if/else statement to load various different includes into one page, so...if (arg=true){ include('path/file.php');} elseif (arg=true) { include('path/file.php');} etc...I am passing the variable at the end of the url so... <a href="url?arg=true#header">click here</a>Now this all works fine on a windows server, but it's not working on a linux machine.Please, please help me, I've looked through the manual, found nothing useful...I'm slowing going mad.thank you

Are you using that actual code?? You need to look at the $_GET superglobal and the syntax of the equality operator. Were you using ASP on IIS?

if ($_GET['arg'] == "true") {	include('path/file.php');} elseif ($_GET['arg'] == "true") {	include('path/file.php');}

No I am using php on apache and the following is an examplethe following;if (arg=true){include('path/file.php');} elseif (arg=true) {include('path/file.php');} etc...I am passing the variable at the end of the url so... <a href="url?arg=true#header">click here</a>is actually:if ($tim=true){include('path/file.php');} elseif ($ted=true) {include('path/file.php');} etc...I am passing the variable at the end of the url so... <a href="url?tim=true#header">click here</a>

thanks, I think I love you, using the $_GET superglobal and the equality operator worked like a charm, thank you, you have solved one ohell of a headache.Just out of interest, why would this have only been a problem on a linux server and not windows?I used the code in my initial query on windows and it did what I expexted.

That code will behave the same way, no matter whether PHP is running under IIS, Apache, or as a CGI module. Are you sure it was the same file?Edit: I've just realised, on the Windows server, register_globals may have been set, so $_GET['arg'] would have been automatically converted to $arg. However, the first conditional ($tim = true) would have always returned true.

certain it was the same file.Thank you again.Deploying to a Linux server after testing on windows created some very unexpected results for me, but this was the real killer. I suppose in retrospect this example is not a surprise. Without explicitly telling the script to check the GET array, how should the code know where to look?!

Archived