browser compatibility

Guest SFADuncan

Guest SFADuncan

(Please treat this post as someone sounding off in frustration!)Finally bit the bullet this week, and allocated time out to dumping tables for good and moving everything to CSS - but what a frustration trying to make everything work in IE and Firefox.Suggestion: if you want to persuade people like me to dump tables, then at least make the effort to ensure your tutorial examples look the same across different browsers. Having some horrible alignment issues at the moment between browsers. With a view to looking at a few examples, I see that the following aligns differently in different browsers.eghttp://www.w3schools.com/myfirst/css07.aspBeginning to wonder whether the benefits are worth me dedicating an extra week of my life to this.There, I feel better already!

Cross-browser compatibility is one of the biggest challenges involved in using CSS, my advice is to simply take it one step at a time and check everything you type in all browsers. If something doesn't work, try something else before moving on to the next part of your site. It makes it much easier than trying to fix everything at the end, however the benefits of CSS FAR outweigh the difficulties with browsers.

(Please treat this post as someone sounding off in frustration!)Finally bit the bullet this week, and allocated time out to dumping tables for good and moving everything to CSS - but what a frustration trying to make everything work in IE and Firefox.Suggestion:  if you want to persuade people like me to dump tables, then at least make the effort to ensure your tutorial examples look the same across different browsers.  Having some horrible alignment issues at the moment between browsers.  With a view to looking at a few examples, I see that the following aligns differently in different browsers.eghttp://www.w3schools.com/myfirst/css07.aspBeginning to wonder whether the benefits are worth me dedicating an extra week of my life to this.There, I feel better already!

I feel your pain. It has been my experience that the browser world is just not ready (IMHO) to commit fully to one or the other. I have learned the art of a fine balance between using CSS and tables together. One revelation I came to years ago was to never use the <p> tag and always use a <br> when ever you are done with a line of content.For instance:<table><tr><td>Content/Image Here<br></td></tr></table>Even though most browsers don't need it - a few will for different types of scenarios.There is no reason that tables and CSS can't co-exist without being standard compliant and being an acceptable practice.

There is no reason that tables and CSS can't co-exist without being standard compliant and being an acceptable practice.

Indeed, except when you use tables to create something crazy that would normall not be considered a table, like a layout.SFADuncan, that example seems to be aligning wrongly in Firefox because they don't use the same CSS as the one typed in their own example... Notice they set margin-left: 0 to the ul selector.