Name Change Request Thread

knystrom18

It'd be nice if there was a name change request thread where people could post what new names they wanted.Example:My current name: knystrom181st choice: Coaxsist2nd choice: Coaxsist.Whenever a mod/admin has the chance, they could come in here, and change the appropriate values in the users database of the site?If this does get implemented, those are my choices, and thanks ahead of time.- K

I've seen users do it before (e.g.), but I don't see an option for enabling or disabling that in the admin section. I guess I can change it manually though.
Actually, Jack McKalling (formerly Dan the Prof) PM'ed me, and I changed the name for him. I don't think user display name change is possible/active for the user him/herself, only the member title (under your avatar), which you can change yourself, if I remember correctly, after 500 posts.

Actually, Jack McKalling (formerly Dan the Prof) PM'ed me, and I changed the name for him.
Did he give a reason why? I mean, why not just make a new account? Why have all those posts that you didn't write attributed to you?

Did he give a reason why? I mean, why not just make a new account? Why have all those posts that you didn't write attributed to you?
I didn't need a good reason, he asked politely, and I didn't see a problem with it. On the other hand, I considered refusing people if it became a big deal and people asking admin/mod left and right to change their name. Why make a new account? We (you, with me not being a mod today) had (have) a policy of one account per user, and he had access to the account in question. I don't know what you mean by the last question, because he (Jack McKalling, or Dan The Prof, same account, different display name) wrote all the posts still attributed to his screen name... :)

I've seen users do it before (e.g.), but I don't see an option for enabling or disabling that in the admin section. I guess I can change it manually though.
I don't specifically remember changing my display name in the control panel, but my name did change somehow. Did you change it manually? If so, I thank you sir.

I was under the impression it was a different person, his sig seems to imply that he's not the original account owner.
That never occurred to me, he certainly PMed me originally with the name Dan The Prof. If it's someone else who gained access to that account I don't understand the motivation.

Archived