Dynamic Table

jschoice2002

Hi,Can someone please help me, im trying to make a dynamic table. I manage te make a table that fills from top to bottom. But i need a table with 3 columns that fills from left to right. I only get this far where the rows( understandably) keep multiplying which is not what i want.Dim RsQmenu Set RsQmenu = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") RsQmenu.ActiveConnection = MM_connCMS_STRING RsQmenu.Source = "SELECT * FROM subs WHERE QuickMenu = 'Y' order by subItemno" RsQmenu.Open() QuickHead= (RsQmenu.Fields.Item("subItemHead").Value)%></head><body><%Response.Write("<table width=100% border=0 cellspacing=10 class=bottomlinks>")Do until RsQmenu.EOFResponse.Write("<tr>")Response.Write("<td align=left valign=top>"&QuickHead&"</td>")Response.Write("<td align=left valign=top>"&QuickHead&"</td>")Response.Write("<td align=left valign=top>"&QuickHead&" </td>")Response.Write("</tr>")RsQmenu.Movenext()LoopResponse.Write("</table>")%>Thanks in advance..Jaco

for showing three columns of data, you have to count the cells, then for 1st column you start with tr start tag <tr> and on the last column you insert the closing row tag </tr>, then reset count to 1.problem is you have to allow for eof finishing before entering the third column, to fix this, use a loop to insert empty cells<td> </td> using the current count value, and finish with </tr> tag.sorry the code is not vb, but it gives you the idea.<%Response.Write("<table width=100% border=0 cellspacing=10 class=bottomlinks>")count = 0;Do until RsQmenu.EOFcount++;if(count=1){Response.Write("<tr>")}Response.Write("<td align=left valign=top>"&QuickHead&"</td>")if(count = 3){Response.Write("</tr>")count=0;}RsQmenu.Movenext()Loopif(count<3 && count !=0){for(i=count;i<=count;i++){Response.Write("<td> </td>")}Response.Write("</tr>")}Response.Write("</table>")%>

thankkkss dsonesuk, That did the trick...you've really helped me out...i was stuck on this thing for daysthis is what i got in the end... <% i = 1Response.Write("<table width='100%' border='0' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' class='bottomlinks'>" & Vbcrlf ) Do until RsQmenu.EOF Select Case i case 1Response.Write("<tr>" & Vbcrlf )Response.Write("<td width=150 align=left valign=top class=bottomlinks><ul class=bottomlinks>"& Vbcrlf&("<li><a href='index.asp?page=2⊂="&(RsQmenu.Fields.Item("subItemno").Value)&"'>"&(RsQmenu.Fields.Item("subItemhead").Value)&"<BR></a></li></ul>")&"</td>" & Vbcrlf ) case 2Response.Write("<td width=150 align=left valign=top class=bottomlinks> <ul class=bottomlinks>"& Vbcrlf&("<li><a href='index.asp?page=2⊂="&(RsQmenu.Fields.Item("subItemno").Value)&"'>"&(RsQmenu.Fields.Item("subItemhead").Value)&"<BR></a></li> </ul>")&"</td>" & Vbcrlf ) case 3Response.Write("<td width=171 align=left valign=top class=bottomlinks> <ul class=bottomlinks>"& Vbcrlf&("<li><a href='index.asp?page=2⊂="&(RsQmenu.Fields.Item("subItemno").Value)&"'>"&(RsQmenu.Fields.Item("subItemhead").Value)&"<BR></a></li> </ul>")&"</td>"&"</tr>" & Vbcrlf ) i = 0 End Select i = i + 1RsQmenu.Movenext() LoopResponse.Write("</table>" & Vbcrlf )%>

Archived