People are really lazy.

louie

Before you ask a question in this forum, you should check out our Tutorial.For our Tutorial: Visit W3Schools Tutorials
A lot of questions asked here in this forum can be answered simply by reading the tutorials, and most often what people are asking are actually examples in the w3school main website. Some questions are even extremely similar, but yet people ask the same questions all over again.That "please-read-the-tutorial-first" message pinned at every forum apparently DOES NOT work.I firmly believe that this forum is created to answer questions that the w3schools main website does not answer.I do not have a solution for this. But this would just serve as a precaution. Because basically when this forum grows. Then a lot new topics will be started.Then probably, we will be reading a bunch of repetitive questions being asked all over and over and over again.And please forum members, please dont post for the sake of increasing your post count. Post for the sake of answering questions being asked.And if you wish to promote your website here, we cant/wont stop you with it, but please do it in an ETHICAL way. There is no excuse for not having any manners/ethics.And lastly, this forum, in my humble opinion, is used for answering questions (or some code snippets) not for asking for full/complete scripts.This is just my opinion. You might think i'm wrong, but really i think i am right with this one. You just have to agree with me here.
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am probably one of those people that may ask a similar question, or one that can be answered on the website. I have read all of the Tutorials for html, xhtml, css, and javascript, up until the javascript i was understanding much of what was written and the examples are great you can change them all and see what happens, then just click the link again and be back at the begining I played with those for a long time until something clicked one day and i moved on to the next section, javascript on the otherhand is very difficult for me to understand but everybody says use it for this/that the other thing so i went to a forum but they arent there anymore, so im here now and halve allready recieved alot of great help and i read all the other posts for the subjects that i ask questions on and have even used some new idea and am just trying to figure out how to put them to good use on my (bitty site).Anyway i got off what i was gonna say.asome people need things explained 3 different ways to understand things, alot of the people here are awsome at site building while others (raises hand) are still in all reality Newbies, bear with us as we are trying to learn what you allready know :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

louie, I have to disagree with you on one part. I think its good to have members trying to raise his/her post count, as long as each post is valuable. Then, more people can get their questions answered. Isn't this the point of post counts?

• Like 1

louie, I have to disagree with you on one part.  I think its good to have members trying to raise his/her post count, as long as each post is valuable.  Then, more people can get their questions answered.  Isn't this the point of post counts?

What you must realise newbman, is that this post from louie is old, it was posted at the beginning of this forum, before the days of the mods, but we feel a lot of the points are still valid, and so let the post stay as said by a member. Someone started posting for the sake of raising their post counts, and we don't want that to happen again, so the point will always be valid. As you say, as long as the posts can be seen as semi-/valuable, we don't object.

• 1 month later...
louie, I have to disagree with you on one part.  I think its good to have members trying to raise his/her post count, as long as each post is valuable.  Then, more people can get their questions answered.  Isn't this the point of post counts?

You can actually post as long as you like as long as it makes sense and is, as you said valuable. I wont disagree with you on that. and you have a good point there. But there would be a lot of people, that would just post for the sake of posting alone, just to increase thier post count. and also just to be noticed.ten thousand post are useless if all of it does not make sense at all. I hope its clear now.Posting==helping. So post all you like. Just make sure it makes sense.

• 1 month later...

That's not a surprise to me: because there are lots of people in quite different levels. Once i am capable to do something, i will surely share my skill with them, no matter what they ask.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wow, this is an old topic. Gravedigger... Joe, can you please stop posting so many random things. It seems like you are doing this to raise your post count.I think that some people ask these questions because they dont understand the ones on the tutorials alot of the times..

• 3 months later...
Guest Wordsworm

I think that the w3schools is a great idea. However, I find that more webpages need to be used as a way of explaining things. I am currently trying to learn Javascript, and the information presented is so dry that I have a hard time understanding how these various techniques affect 'real world' webpages. It would be nice to see more examples in web pages. You know, for people who have been programming for years, I imagine that the terseness of your lessons is greatly appreciated. After all, for them it's mostly rehashing stuff they already know. However, for beginners like me, I have a hard time trying to understand it. The tutorials are simply too short. On the other hand, what does one expect for a free online course?

• 1 month later...

First time when i read this...very true...Many problems would be resolved with just a search....there, on the main site , and here, on the forum too...lots of questions are asked more then 2 times...In some situations, the topics names aren't very suggestive, it's true...but....

• 9 months later...

I think part of the reason people do not go through the tutorials is because they only need a few lines of, for example, VBScript, and reading the tutorials of a language you don't need can be a pretty gruelling task.I also think that people should consult the referances pages first. One problem with the W3Schools site in my opinion is that the referances are not thrown at you but the links hide away at the right side of the page, overcrowded with advertisments, and not by the tutorials list where I reckon they should be.

The w3schools site is overcrowded with advertisements in general. If you take this page as an example:http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_obj_array.aspThe entire right nav bar, with the exception of the search form and the forum link (which I didn't notice for several years), is all advertisements for shopping carts, web hosting, web design, whatever. The only 2 useful pieces of information on that page that I would be looking for are the tables of properties and methods. Below those is another ad ("product spotlight"), then another ad (I see one for an XML editor), then some Google ads, then some more Google ads. In addition to the other Google ads on the top of the page. So I count 10 ads in addition to the entire right side, which I assume most of those people paid for.I understand that w3schools is an ad-supported site, but damn. The ads make it difficult to find what is important. Just ask everyone who's never known this forum existed.

Mabey if we as user were to give referance links in replies, it would raise awarness of them, and thus hopefully decrease at least the size of each topic.

The entire right nav bar, with the exception of the search form and the forum link (which I didn't notice for several years)
Kaijim - Joined: 22-June 05 justsomeguy - Joined: 18-April 06It couldn't have been several years :) . More of a "year".I never noticed the right part either. I first saw the forum while I was reading a tutorial, which at the bottom on the left side had "W3Schools Forum" link, and still has actually.

Kaijim - Joined: 22-June 05 justsomeguy - Joined: 18-April 06It couldn't have been several years :) . More of a "year".
OK, you got me. I don't know when the forum link was added, but there's nothing to draw the visitor's eye to that part of the screen. I have been visiting w3schools since around 99-2000 though, and once you get the idea that the right side and the bottom are nothing but ads you stop looking there.

• 5 weeks later...

For many people, tutorials aren't explained in a way to them, where they can actually understand what they are saying, whereas if you had a human who can actively explain how to do something, like a javascript function to resize a window, then that should be fine.That is my opinion and I shall stick by it. ;O

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Respected Sir/Madam, I want to apply for the certification exams for the subjects "HTML" and "CSS" in the coming months. So as i am a citizen of "INDIA" i need to pay around 4700/- rupees for each exam that i want to attempt.My question is, do i need to pay again to attempt the exam, if for any reason i do "fail" or i want to "improve" my score sheet for the second attempt. I hope u will reply to this request soon. Thanking you, Ashish.

AFAIK you have to pay everytime you will participate in exam