facebook creep-out

niche

This forum seemed to be the best one for this issue.I've never used facebook, but I recieved an invite from someone I didn't think I knew. I clicked on it and see that three people who I do know have also been invented (but apparently haven't accepted). I can image how that might happen only in my wildest dreams and it creeps me out because I'm not a big believer in coincidence.How can someone I don't think I know invite me (and three other people that I do know - one of them barely an acquaintance) AT THE SAME TIME. This can't be a random event or is it? How can they do that!?

It's an email invite, yes? It is very easy to scrape email address books or lists of multiple recipients from individual messages. You may sometimes receive spam from someone you know. It really isn't your friend sending spam. Someone else is spoofing your friend's return address.Happens all the time. Can't be helped. Don't worry about it, unless you think your personal address book is getting scraped. You may have acquired a trojan horse or virus that can be removed by protection software.

Yes, it was an email invite and yes I've seen my email address show up on some big distribution lists. I can imagine someone lifting my email address along with everyone else's. I'm not concerned as such. I'm just always on the look-out for how the world is changing and right now I'm ignorant about most things facebook. everything can't always be hot all the time.Thanks for the reassurance.I don't think I have a trojan or virus, but am checking to be safe. I use Mcafee. Do you have any strong opinions about Mcafee pro/con?

• 1 month later...

This has happened to me multiple times. The only thing I can guess is that the facebook invitee's address book is being scraped. I am guessing this because I had sent everyone listed there an email at one point in time.

Archived