running an ASP.NET site

skaterdav85

I have to make a few modifications to an existing ASP.NET site. I'm making changes in one of the C# files but when I click on the project root and select "View in Browser", none of the changes are reflected. I can even type in invalid code in the C# file and it still runs. Do I need to restart the server or something every time i change the code behind files? If so, how do I do this?Also, every time i close VS, it says: "Do you want to save changes to MyProjectName.sln?". What does that mean?

If you're making HTML edits it could be browser caching, but I'd bet that it's not actually saving the changes, perhaps due to a permissions issue. If you FTP the file down and look at it, are the changes actually present in the file? I'm not familiar with VS, so I may be way off base.

Ok I figured it out. Apparently I was missing designer files and one other class file from my SVN import and i clicked 'open web site' instead of the ProjectName.csproj file to load it into Visual Studio. Not really sure what the difference is but apparently that is how you're supposed to open an asp.net application in VS.

Archived