Using a CMS...How should I go about doing this?

GuyBri89

I'm almost done with the XHTML and CSS tutorial and have decided that I am going to learn PHP before I learn JavaScript.However, I was wondering if I should use a GNU/GPL CMS like wordpress or Drupal when learning PHP to help me out with certain subjects (like creating a site search engine), or should I just learn PHP as I go? Aside from the tutorial here, I have two books on it, and two other e-tutorials on it.How would you do it? Or should I learn JS first?

JS isn't necessary to learn, but I'd highly recommend it. In fact, there are many basic aspects of JS and PHP that are similar to someone first learning web programming, e.g. loops, program logic, functions, etc. I think that, when learning PHP, if you want to learn how to do something specific, just do a quick web search on the topic. It is likely you'll find just what you want to know. Believe it or not, site search engines are amazingly simple thanks to databases and SQL (which you'll learn along with PHP).

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to the learn PHP before you tackle using the CMS. The code they spit out may look at first glance completely different to what your learning. Might I suggest a cookbook?

Archived