Add Amounts And Put In Element

Macchiato

I have two amounts, each one in an element. I'd like to add them together and put them in an other element. Anyone know a Javascript that can do this?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><title>Add amounts and put in element</title></head> <body> <p id="firstAmount">$1,133.79</p> <p id="secondAmount">$1,900.00</p> <br /> Total: <p id="totalAmount">$0.00</p> </body></html>

look fordocument.getElementById() to retrieve values from elementsparseFloat() to convert string to float value, so you can add numerical values togethertoFixed(n) to convert value to a fixed number of digits after decimal point before being returned to id="totalAmount" using document.getElementById().innerHTML Experiment with these, and if you have any problems, post your problem and we will attempt to fix

I got the following code:

function addCommasandsign(nStr)   {nStr += '';x = nStr.split('.');x1 = x[0];x2 = x.length > 1 ? '.' + x[1] : '';var rgx = /(\d+)(\d{3})/;while (rgx.test(x1)) {    x1 = x1.replace(rgx, '$1' + ',' + '$2');}return '$' + x1 + x2;    }//get htmlvar firstval=document.getElementById('firstAmount').innerHTML;var secval=document.getElementById('secondAmount').innerHTML;//replace $ and , by nothingfirstval=firstval.replace('$','');firstval=firstval.replace(',','');secval=firstval.replace('$','');secval=firstval.replace(',','');//add valuesvar total=firstval + secval;//put , and $ back in placevar total2=addCommasandsign(total);//insert in htmldocument.getElementById('totalAmount').innerHTML=total2;

There seem to be a small problem in the calculation though. I get an total amount of $1,133.791133 instead of $3,033.79 See this live example: jsfiddle.net/LGNwSYou know what the problem could be?

Your live example isn't loading for me, but it's probably just due to floating point errors - try rounding the value of total to two decimal places (by multiplying, rounding, then dividing) using Math.round().

First you are replacing the secval with firstval when replacing '$' and ',' firstval=firstval.replace('$','');firstval=firstval.replace(',','');secval= firstval .replace('$','');secval= firstval .replace(',',''); at this point it is still treated as text, adding them together will produce 1133.791900.00, this is where parseFloat() comes into play to convert text into a numeric float value, so you should have

firstval=firstval.replace('$','');firstval=firstval.replace(',','');secval=secval.replace('$','');secval=secval.replace(',','');  //add valuesvar total=parseFloat(firstval) + parseFloat(secval);//put , and $ back in placevar total2=addCommasandsign(total);//insert in htmldocument.getElementById('totalAmount').innerHTML=total2;

Archived