Void Main() { Printf('goodbye, World'); }

justsomeguy

It's worth noting that on October 8th Dennis Ritchie died at the age of 70. Dennis Ritchie was one of the giants that people like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Linus Torvalds stood on the shoulders of. He invented C, and together with Ken Thompson also invented Unix and pioneered open systems. The media won't roll out the same love-fest they gave to Steve Jobs, but Dennis Ritchie's contributions to what we all do cannot be overstated. Everything we do today with computers has his fingerprints on it. He didn't seek out fame and fortune, he did what he did out of curiosity and the pursuit of knowledge. http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/business-of-it/2011/10/13/dennis-ritchie-father-of-unix-and-c-dies-40094176/

Wow I wasn't even aware of this! Thanks JSG. I've been reading some material on C recently and I have to say; I am very thankful that he designed it. The influence of C on the popular languages and UNIX on other operating systems is in no way insignificant. I wonder if we didn't have something like C, would we write PHP or JavaScript in assembly? :P Dennis Ritchie has passed but has work and influence lives on. Even in this post.

I read about this today in a greek website. I may be too young to know some people that has built the foundation of what we are studying now, but i can't hide my appreciation to them. I've seen your signature so many times (referring to justsomeguy), but i am not really a fan of wall of texts, (especially when it's about history), plus i am afraid i am going to forget things. I hope one day i'll be more excited with these kind of stuff.

Archived