Advice Need

az1987

Hey all,I need some advice.I'm currently in my final year at uni, and my final year project looks interesting too me.Anyways in a nut shell i have to connect a radio receiver to a web server. And then allow the client to scan frequencies or choose a frequence on a web page.Also i have to have create a spectrum plot for each frequency strength.I was just wondering is this at all possible with python or is php or RoR better?

You can use Python for that, you may be able to find various examples of communicating with devices on a serial port using Perl or Python. The details on how to make this work for you depend on the radio you're using, specifically how the radio connects to the computer and the commands that you're able to send to the radio.

That should help you find the information, yes. You're looking for things like the manual, specifications on how to communicate with the thing, what ports it has, etc. One option may be to write some code to communicate directly with the device, another option might be to communicate with other software which controls the radio instead of trying to communicate directly with the hardware. So it may also help to look into the software that comes with the radio, or whatever software you're using, and see if the software has an API that you can use. If you search for specifically what you're trying to do you might also find a description about how to do it.

Archived