Problem With Gchrome

jimfog

I have a problem with the way some links appear in google chrome. The site i am referring to is here:http://www.hellenicastrology.gr/ Go in the footer in the #sitemap. Why the bullets appear in blue? I have set, in css, these links, when visited to be white, the specific rule is found in sitemap.css. While in ff everything is ok, in chrome the bullets are displayed blue-the links are ok though, they are displayed in white. Why do you think that happens?

Many errors, i have to go by them one by one. One question is though, why so many javascript errors, and difficult to pinpoint exactly the root of the problem.

Ι am having difficulty understanding why the validation tool output some js syntax as error. For example: The first error that appears is this:Line 45, Column 76: character ";" not allowed in attribute specification list… var i,j=d.MM_p.length,a=MM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0; i<a.length; i++)Here is the whole code:

function MM_preloadImages(){ //v3.0  var d=document; if(d.images){ if(!d.MM_p) d.MM_p=new Array();    var i,j=d.MM_p.length,a=MM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0; i<a.length; i++)    if (a[i].indexOf("#")!=0) { d.MM_p[j]=new Image; d.MM_p[j++].src=a[i];}}}

The semicolon in the for loop, at the above position is perfectly legitimate. Why that?

the html validator is treating js as part of html, which you don't want! you have to use comment tags within the <script> tags to prevent the validator reading the javascript code.

<script type="text/javascript"><!--//function MM_preloadImages(){ //v3.0  var d=document; if(d.images){ if(!d.MM_p) d.MM_p=new Array();    var i,j=d.MM_p.length,a=MM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0; i<a.length; i++)    if (a[i].indexOf("#")!=0) { d.MM_p[j]=new Image; d.MM_p[j++].src=a[i];}}} //--></script>

OK

<script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*//*---->*/function MM_preloadImages(){ //v3.0  var d=document; if(d.images){ if(!d.MM_p) d.MM_p=new Array();    var i,j=d.MM_p.length,a=MM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0; i<a.length; i++)    if (a[i].indexOf("#")!=0) { d.MM_p[j]=new Image; d.MM_p[j++].src=a[i];}}}/*--*//*]]>*/</script>

ooops :facepalm: . I forgot the html validator is ...only for html. Anyway, what is the difference between CDATA & comment tags. I suppose i will remove the tags after the validation.

So, CDATA are used so no errors appear when the parser "reads" javascript code. So, the parser which parses XHTML documents is an XML parser, not an HTML one? Within the CDATA tags, the XML parser ignores the code and the JavaScript parser takes over control? Is this how it works?

The W3C HTML validator doesn't "validate" your Javascript — the CDATA markup declaration indicates that the contained text is just text, not HTML, and so it doesn't care anymore. Similar with the comment markup declaration (except that tells the parser the contents is a comment).P.S.: XHTML is a dialect of XML, and HTML is a dialect of SGML, so when it checks well-formedness it will use the relevant one.

If CDATA declares the the content as text, then how the javascript parser "reads" it? I run the validator once more, The errors are very few now. Most of them are related with characters appearing in the URLs, which in turn are produced by Joomla.Why there characters appear as errors. I am considering leaving these errors as there are. What are the negative effects are going to be if i leave them as they are? Besides,I cannot do sth in the way joomla outputs URLs which in turn is related to its internal structure.

Have you set the links to search engine friendly SEF in config? it will show error for the & characters in index.php?this=that&that=this, and ask you to change it to & instead, But! with SEF links it will show domain/this/that instead. In javscript to comment out code you would use //js code or /* js code */, so /*<![CDATA[*//*---->*/ /*--*//*]]>*/will tell the validator to ignore its content as html code, the javascript will ignore it as commenting out code and proceed to process the code.

Regarding the SEF links i got it, i will do it cause i haven't so far.. Regarding the CDATA tags my q had another meaning. From the moment the code in CDATA tags is converted in text wouldn't be logical that javascript parser would be unable to read the specific code? Thanks and i hope i was more clear now.

Now it is clear to me, thanks.

Archived