Creating A Textbox That Allows Users To Input Information Directly To The Site

cyberdie

I am using Dreamweaver to design and as I am a novice to web design and currently looking to learn, I am hoping for some assistance. 1. I want to know how you can create a textbox / input box on a webpage that would allow a viewer / user to enter a website and then click submit and then that website would load in a seperate window - similar to your current address bar attached to any browser but only I would need it to load using my created site. 2. How easy is it to enter this code in something like dreamweaver for e.g? 3. Is it better to have a seperate e.g. .php page that has all the coding on, that the submit button would refer to as apposed to using the main index page to code on. Hope this makes sense as im still trying to learn to lingo.

you don't need dreaweaver to do it per se, code is just text. Something as simple as notepad will suffice. To start learning about web development, you should read some tutorials. Seeing as you are on the forum of such a site, why not start there? Start with HTML and CSS, learning how to create a valid HTML document and learning how to get it to look like you want. For the functionality you seek, you should learn either Javascript or PHP. One runs on the client and on the server, but are equally important to know for web development in general. Read the tutorials to at least be familiar with them. The easiest one to implement for your idea with would probably be javascript.

You just want to change the window.location Javascript variable to the value of the text input when the user submits the form.

Archived