Changing Background Color Of Input Text Field

jsnovice

I am trying to change the background color of an input text field. I am attempting to use a function to do this. The function is called by clicking on certain buttons. Is it possible to do what I want, and how can it be done ? I am using Windows 7, Firefox 8 and IE 9. Thank you. Code Author Stephanie Griswold.

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function setOFF()  {  document.mainForm.Output.value="OFF";  document.mainForm.Output.style="background-color: #ff0000";  }function setON()  {  document.mainForm.Output.value="ON";  document.mainForm.Output.style="background-color: #00ff00";  }</script></head><body><form name="mainForm"><table><tr><td align="center">Input</td><td>Output</td></tr><tr><td align="center">  <input type="button" value="OFF" onclick="setOFF()"; />  <input type="button" value="ON"  onclick="setON()"; /></td><td>  <input type="text" size="10" name="Output" value="Output" /></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"> Below is how I want the Output field to look when OFF or ON buttons are clicked:</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="center">  <input type="text" size="10" name="WhatIWantOff" value="OFF" style="background-color: #ff0000"; />  <input type="text" size="10" name="WhatIWantOn" value="ON" style="background-color: #00ff00"; /></td></tr></table></form></body></html>

You don't use the style object like that. If you want to change the background color, set the document.mainForm.Output.style.backgroundColor property. CSS properties are included in the style object, anything with a hyphen in CSS gets camel-cased in Javascript. What's with the note about the author?

Archived