site giving 404 after DNS changes

real_illusions

I have a strange problem (not personally, but a website has a problem...)....anyway. Quick history lesson.1. Build a new website for a client.2. Initially was going to change hosting, and had the A records changed on their DNS records.3. Didn't go to plan due to security issues surrounding the A records and adding a domain to a new server solely on A records. DNS was reverted after 2-3 days downtime.4. New site uploaded onto old/current server. New home page is index.php, which didn't exist on previous site (as it was using index.htm or something else). Now, here where it gets a bit complicated. The site works fine for me, in all browsers, including the browser (Chrome in my case) I used to try the site when the DNS change was taking place.Client were also doing the same, but im not sure what browser they were using. Client says, that a week after the new site went live on their current server, in IE9, they are getting a 404 error. But not just any 404, its a Wordpress 404, in the new design. (previous site didnt use WP).Site works for them in all other browsers and other computers, such as Firefox and IE8. I thought this was simply a caching issue with the browser. They have cleared cache and history in ie9, but with no success. The rest of the pages work, and index.php works fine when accessed, it just the root url example.com/ that gets the 404. Is there anything that can be done so they can view the site?

Wait... was the web server changed, or just the domain register?Did the web server have any rewrite rules? Or rather, does the current one have any?

The domain A records were changed, but were changed back again. I've looked into those search results (or similar) but not found anything solid that relates to this situation. I'm not aware of any rewrite rules on the server, its a windows server. I dont have access to it though, but I do have a contact for someone who does have access to it.

Archived