Contact Form Issues

lucasmland

I created a php contact form for our Technology department in a school district. I would like to make a particular field required or optional based on the choice made in a dropdown menu.So, if the user chooses the Hardware or Software category, I want the barcode field to be required. If they choose Username/Password, I want the barcode field to be optional.Here is the part of the code that is validating fields:

function died($error) {	    // your error code can go here	    echo "<b>We are very sorry, but there were error(s) found with the form you submitted.</b><br /> <br />";	    echo $error."<br />";	    echo "Please go back and fix these errors.<br />";	    die();    }	// validation expected data exists    if(!isset($_POST['name']) ||	    !isset($_POST['location']) ||	    !isset($_POST['email']) ||	    !isset($_POST['machine']) ||	    !isset($_POST['problem'])) {	    died('We are sorry, but there appears to be a problem with the form you submitted.');	      }       $name = $_POST['name']; // required    $location = $_POST['location']; // required    $email_from = $_POST['email']; // required    $machine = $_POST['machine']; // required    $barcode = $_POST['barcode']; // not required    $problem = $_POST['problem']; // required    $issue = $_POST['issue'];    $error_message = "";  if(($issue) == '') {    $error_message .= 'Please select a category.<br />';}  if(($issue) == "Hardware" || "Software" && ($barcode) == '') {	  $error_message .= 'The Service Tag/Barcode you entered does not appear to be valid.<br />';       }    $email_exp = '/^[A-Za-z0-9._%-]+@[A-Za-z0-9.-]+\.[A-Za-z]{2,4}$/';  if(!preg_match($email_exp,$email_from)) {    $error_message .= 'The Email Address you entered does not appear to be valid.<br />';  }    $string_exp = "/^[A-Za-z0-9, .'-]+$/";  if(!preg_match($string_exp,$name)) {    $error_message .= 'The Name you entered does not appear to be valid.<br />';  }  if(!preg_match($string_exp,$location)) {    $error_message .= 'The Location you entered does not appear to be valid.<br />';  }  if(!preg_match($string_exp,$machine)) {    $error_message .= 'The Machine you entered does not appear to be valid.<br />';  }  if(strlen($problem) < 2) {    $error_message .= 'The problem you entered does not appear to be valid.<br />';  }  if(strlen($error_message) >= 1) {    died($error_message);  }

The problem is that this always setting $error_message to 'The Service Tag/Barcode you entered does not appear to be valid.<br />'. So, when user selects Username/Password the error message is still preventing the script from sending the email.Any ideas?Lucas Land

Archived