What are some insights you have for me to create this site?

essaydoctor

I was told by some folks in another discussion group that I'm in to place this in the Java or PHP area. I would like to create a website which would allow users to submit an essay. Their essays would be in a timed-environment, and hence, the site should have a countdown timer, which I heard is very heard to implement. From experience messing around with moonfruit, squarespace, widgetbox, and wix, I'm not sure if having a countdown timer is super difficult, but to have one that fits the flow of what I'm after maybe a challenge. 1. I have no clue which programming language, scripts, etc. to use, or how to go about doing it. Do you think that I should use .PHP or .ASP? I realize that .ASP is like VS Basic and PHP is more like C-language. But I'm hearing more bad things about PHP. For a timed-essay web system that's highly modified, what would you use? 2. I want to design the basic look, feel, menus, etc. using moonfruit, wordpress, and squarespace. However, how do I transfer these files to one website which has features from both web-developer's site? 3. What would be your cost estimates for a website that fulfills what I'm looking for? After the student does an essay, a few processes occur, such as me and a grader will score them and mail them back, among other things. Also, there would be a questionnaire and a database involved. An order-of-magnitude approximation estimate is what I'm interested in.

1) Depends on your server. ASP is proprietary and typically run on an IIS enabled machine. PHP is free and is the most common. As with any language, there are good and parts. It's up to the developer to learn, understand, and utilize the good parts. 2) I'm not sure what you mean. To style a website, you create the markup with HTML and use CSS to style it. 3) Depends. Probably not that much, but would require more information and detail to get an appropriate ballpark estimate.

Thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions for me. I want to clarify some of my questions that I have for you. 2. I'm not sure if you're familiar with moonfruit.com or wix.com . These are sites that you can design your e-commerce website. I've noticed that moonfruit has some beautiful features that wix.com does not have, and vice versa. How would I be able to "port" the source code from these websites to another website? Another words, how would I host my website which I'm designing on moonfruit.com and wix.com to another different site? I have a feeling that I must copy the pertinent files and the source code and move it to the new location. 2. I was wondering how much it'd cost to develop a timed-testing environment to do the following:a. Develop a testing-environment where users can take a 30-minute essay. We'll provide the topic, and you will have exactly 30 minutes for your essay.b. This site requires e-commerce capabilities. You must pay $5 to use my site and, hence, be able to type in an essay in my timed environment. ALSO, ONLY PEOPLE WITH EMAIL ADDRESSES ENDING IN .EDU CAN ENTER. c. I will have some marketing questions prior to writing the essay. However ,they will be "actionable" marketing questions. for example, one marketing question will state "When will you be taking your AP English exam?" and my solution will send an automated email 24-48 hours prior to wish them good luck. I have a feeling that this will be a very manual operation. d. You will not be able to take screenshots of the testing environment. Kind Regards,HP

Archived