PHP Tutorial

kaijim

Hello everybody!We are currently trying to make the PHP part of the page better.We have taken a small break from writing the reference part (have made over 400 reference pages the last months), and we have started working on the tutorial part.I would very much like to get suggestions on what to add :)

• Like 2

A thing I certanly want to see is global variables handling, such as the GET variable. You know, the ones with which when you type "?VariableName=VariableValue" at the end of the URL to trigger special actions in the PHP file.Maybe some more detailed information on form processing and an example of simple MySQL connection and action (just like the ODBC example).And one thing which is probably with the least prirority but... some kind of universal way to install extensions? I mean... most extension's installation follow similar steps, right? If so, what are they? The one of my particular interest is (as some people of this forum could already figure out) a step-by-step way to install the XSLT Processor extension.

• Like 1

I'd love more on SQL connections like boen said, and we need a detailed tutorial on classes. They're pretty important.Maybe some examples on how PHP can interact with AJAX and perform different things too. Sessions would be nice, along with (slightly off-topic) a PHP quiz? I've always wanted to check how much I can do :) (which shouldn't be much) :)I'll see if I can come up with some other things...I suggest you just look at the ASP section and try to balance each one out. :)

An example of an email form, because that is the question that is most often asked here...

An example of an email form, because that is the question that is most often asked here...

What about the one here? I haven't tested it, but it seems as a PHP email form to me.[edit]@...678 what are you talking about? What you show is BBCode. It doesn't belong anywhere in the PHP tutorial. [/edit] Edited by boen_robot

It was a way to allow post formatting without allowing full html coding.
String replacement, right?

The e-mail form was added yesterday.. so that is brand new... just a simple way to send mail... i am planning to add more examples.. and a guide to avoid spammers getting your mail adress..

Well, then I guess one php example would be string replacement, for a guestbook or forum, with example of how to detect bbcode sets, split it into three (opentag, data to format, endtag) and replace the opentag and endtag with < and > instead of [ and ].

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it is an old idea or a new one, but is it possible to create a Try-it editor for PHP?Maybe eval() could be used for that, like eval($_POST['php_input']);Of cource with limitations :)

• Like 1

Nah, that's a really high security risk. More like live example, such as the code on the left and the result on the right WITHOUT the ability to edit the code (like in the ASP tutorials).I think it would be good if something like an example on how to use regular expressions is shown. But perhaps the already suggested regular expressions tutorial would have to be created first though.

Such examples would do the trick too :)There is always a security risk when php gets allowed in editors, but maybe it would be just cool when only the ECHO instruction was allowed :)Beginners playing such as echo "I have hacked yor site!!"; :)

Edited by Dan The Prof

Yeah, I don't think a php editor could be more advanced than this. They could even make examples in php, while the file name was still .asp, since the code they output doesn't do anything. That way, they wouldn't need a php server...

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a mention for a program like EASYPHP which includes PHP, Apache and MySQL.It can be a very daunting task for newcomers to get these 3 up and running, when you can just instal a program that does all this for you :)

I'm a newbie PHP student and see a lot of sites that require logins to access information companies have about individuals such as, ISP's, banks, hosting providors, etc.On your 'web building' page for developers under the Server Side Scripting section, you mention 'Provide security and access control to different Web pages'Could a tutorial be done on this? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some things that by my opinion, would make the php tutorial better:

1. Here, under the section "Comments in PHP", you forgot to mention that you can use "#" too, like:
    <?php\*Comment!another omment!*\echo "I like ";   //prints "I like "echo "pasta!"      #prints "pasta!"?>

2. Try to explain more about how to install PHP, Apache and MySQL.
  3. Try to make a page with information about programs that install the three servises, like EasyPHP or WAMP.

Offtopic: a CSS tutorial about designing scrollbars would be nice :) (so far I didn't found one, I might missed it if you have one)

There's no need of a tutorial for css scrollbars, because Scrollbar-css is not a part of any css spesification, be it 1, 2.1 or 3. Scrollbar-css is microsoft only css.

With FireFox you don't need to edit the scroll bar to look like the webpage, I want the scroll bar to look like my browser... The scroll bar would really fit into the browser owned more than the webpage owned... not to make a argument or nothing..

• 2 months later...