Validate again?

eduard

Guest LH91325

I'm looking for Reading for Dummies. I'd like to see how they can teach reading to people who don't already know.

Another famous problem is: the signs at airports.How do one make it understandable for everyone (especially the international airports!)

Edited by eduardlid

I'm looking for Reading for Dummies. I'd like to see how they can teach reading to people who don't already know.
Someone who wants to learn to read is in my opinion not a dummy! Edited by eduardlid

Keep in mind that while these explanations show you what the error message means, the error message itself may not be caused by what the message says. The cause may be something that isn't directly related, but the validator is only able to detect the problem at that unrelated point.For example, the error 'end tag for element "XXXX" which is not open'. OK, so you see there what that means. If you have code like
something</p>

the problem is obvious...but then, you may have stuff like

<div class="my class and another one><p id=done">something</p></div>

which is also going to produce this error.You can see that the <p> element is opened. So what's happening? You're showing us

<p id=done">something</p>

we notice that you're missing an opening quote... OK, so you fix that, so your code becomes

yet the error is still there. Not only that, now there are more errors."W3S! Y U NO HELP?" you ask (paraphrasing...), while still only showing us the

<p id="done">something</p>

part.In this very reduced example, you should be able to see the error (do you? Where is it?), but in reality, we can never be sure what's causing an error unless we know all of your HTML code (whether that's HTML from an ".html" file or one produced by a PHP file).

Keep in mind that while these explanations show you what the error message means, the error message itself may not be caused by what the message says. The cause may be something that isn't directly related, but the validator is only able to detect the problem at that unrelated point. For example, the error 'end tag for element "XXXX" which is not open'. OK, so you see there what that means. If you have code like
something</p>

the problem is obvious... but then, you may have stuff like

which is also going to produce this error. You can see that the <p> element is opened. So what's happening? You're showing us

we notice that you're missing an opening quote... OK, so you fix that, so your code becomes

yet the error is still there. Not only that, now there are more errors. "W3S! Y U NO HELP?" you ask (paraphrasing...), while still only showing us the

part. In this very reduced example, you should be able to see the error (do you? Where is it?), but in reality, we can never be sure what's causing an error unless we know all of your HTML code (whether that's HTML from an ".html" file or one produced by a PHP file).

So, what about this error message: ine 17, Column 35: required attribute "ACTION" not specified <form method="post" name="nav"> The attribute given above is required for an element that you've used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML document types the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element and the "alt" attribute is required for the "img" element.Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and type="text/javascript" for <script>. Persons write to me send me the code, don´t have to send the code, again your code, send me the URL, validate your file, etc..Can you imagine that´s very confusing for me? And very ´painful´ to receive all those negative replies for a person who is TRYING to learn computing lenguages whether or not he´s doing this in the right way! And because of the amount of posts saying he´s not MOTIVATED? But I apreciate this reply very much, although I´m not a perfect student there are also persons who keep continuing helping me! I´ll never forget that! (e. g. your explanation of a database - cars)! Edited by eduardlid

Seems pretty freaking obvious...

So, what about this error message:
ine 17, Column 35: required attribute "ACTION" not specified <form method="post" name="nav"> The attribute given above is required for an element that you've used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML document types the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element and the "alt" attribute is required for the "img" element.Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and type="text/javascript" for <script>.
Edited by thescientist

A VI delimiter is the equal sign. One reason for that may be because that character is not a normal equal sign, but some other UTF8 character that looks like one, or there could be an error on the previous line like a missing closing quote.
Can you imagine? Why don´t they write: ´=´?

If I could I just say something...I don't think that you're helping eduardlid in your answers. I mean, you guys truly seem awesome people who obviously know your way around programming. You're always ready to help and that is very gentle... honestly.But he won't actually learn anything from these questions/answers. Because minor questions like the ones you (eduardolid) have made, will always occur. I'm nobody to tell you what to do, but I strongly feel that you should struggle with your work. You are not learning. You can't think on your own.Just take a moment to reflect about it, is my piece of advice.
Minor question???????????????????????????????

I agree...1000%... You know that as a programmer you actually have to come up with things on your own right? you can't run off to a forum for every single minor question you have. You can't tell your client you won't be able to make your deadline because "no one is replying to my post!". seriously you have the page right in front of you. There is no reason for this topic to even exist. it's like I walked through a door but can I walk back through the door as well....
I don´t hope they´ve taught you walking like this, because it´ll look terrible by now! (very sorry if you are disabled!)

an attribute value literal can occur in an attribute specification list only after a VI delimiter<div id="idioma"> ???
Can it be that ´idioma´ is spanish and not english?

The language has nothing to do with validation. That particular line does not have any errors in it. There is more code somewhere nearby that is causing the error.

I don´t hope they´ve taught you walking like this, because it´ll look terrible by now! (very sorry if you are disabled!)
Yet again you completely ignore the point. I agree with pc013...if it is really taking you this much effort to take in this little information then you can't use this skill to make money with. Which you have stated to be your primary motivation.

Seems pretty freaking obvious...
But for me it isn´t that obvious!However, you are also a person who often disagrees with me, is frustrated of me, but you keep on helping me! I apreciate that very much!

The language has nothing to do with validation. That particular line does not have any errors in it. There is more code somewhere nearby that is causing the error.
Ok, thanks!

But for me it isn´t that obvious!However, you are also a person who often disagrees with me, is frustrated of me, but you keep on helping me! I apreciate that very much!
The message says that your <form> element does not have an action attribute and it needs to have one. Maybe the problem here is that you have trouble understanding English.

I bolded the exact issue it was telling was the problem. No action attribute on your <form> tag. How much more information do you need?

Keep in mind that while these explanations show you what the error message means, the error message itself may not be caused by what the message says. The cause may be something that isn't directly related, but the validator is only able to detect the problem at that unrelated point. For example, the error 'end tag for element "XXXX" which is not open'. OK, so you see there what that means. If you have code like
something</p>

the problem is obvious... but then, you may have stuff like

which is also going to produce this error. You can see that the <p> element is opened. So what's happening? You're showing us

yet the error is still there. Not only that, now there are more errors. "W3S! Y U NO HELP?" you ask (paraphrasing...), while still only showing us the

part. In this very reduced example, you should be able to see the error (do you? Where is it?), but in reality, we can never be sure what's causing an error unless we know all of your HTML code (whether that's HTML from an ".html" file or one produced by a PHP file).

All the time at these fora I didn´t have a good place to study = to concentrate me! (also not now!) That´s why many stupid questions and also many stupid replies! I´ve written the reasons why, but the replies were: ´only computing programming´ I agree with that, but as I also wrote that I´m not a perfect student: (very) poor conditions, e. g. no heating for 3 winters, because no money! Therefore I look at it different as most of you e. g. you perfectly can speak spanish, but if you don´t have other qualities - you are an a ...... , you won´t survive as in my case, Argentina!

Persons write to me send me the code, don´t have to send the code, again your code, send me the URL, validate your file, etc..Can you imagine that´s very confusing for me?
These things are not mutually exclusive. They're simply spread over space and time. That is:1. Validate your code and at least try to read carefully the error messages, and fix your code. No need to post any code before that.2. Once you reach a roadblock (and this better not be at the very first time you run the validator! Again, read the validator error messages!), give us your code... in the form of a URL that leads to it, rather than giving us the code in the forum.
And very ´painful´ to receive all those negative replies for a person who is TRYING to learn computing lenguages whether or not he´s doing this in the right way! And because of the amount of posts saying he´s not MOTIVATED?
I don't remember anyone saying you're not motivated... we've said you're not dedicated and that you don't really want to learn programming, but are trying for the sake of money. The money itself is a motivation... a problematic motivation that keeps hindering your ability to learn... but there's a difference between "not being motivated with the right reasons" and "not being motivated" at all.

The message says that your <form> element does not have an action attribute and it needs to have one. Maybe the problem here is that you have trouble understanding English.
Thanks! (has nothing to do with ´english´; programming it has!)

These things are not mutually exclusive. They're simply spread over space and time. That is:1. Validate your code and at least try to read carefully the error messages, and fix your code. No need to post any code before that.2. Once you reach a roadblock (and this better not be at the very first time you run the validator! Again, read the validator error messages!), give us your code... in the form of a URL that leads to it, rather than giving us the code in the forum. I don't remember anyone saying you're not motivated... we've said you're not dedicated and that you don't really want to learn programming, but are trying for the sake of money. The money itself is a motivation... a problematic motivation that keeps hindering your ability to learn... but there's a difference between "not being motivated with the right reasons" and "not being motivated" at all.
I´m 100 % sure, someone wrote me that I´m not motivated!

Do you understand this?"required attribute "ACTION" not specified"

These things are not mutually exclusive. They're simply spread over space and time. That is:1. Validate your code and at least try to read carefully the error messages, and fix your code. No need to post any code before that.2. Once you reach a roadblock (and this better not be at the very first time you run the validator! Again, read the validator error messages!), give us your code... in the form of a URL that leads to it, rather than giving us the code in the forum. I don't remember anyone saying you're not motivated... we've said you're not dedicated and that you don't really want to learn programming, but are trying for the sake of money. The money itself is a motivation... a problematic motivation that keeps hindering your ability to learn... but there's a difference between "not being motivated with the right reasons" and "not being motivated" at all.
Also that money is the ONLY reason that I want to learn programming hurts me very much! If I didn´t like it I wasn´t in these fora for such a long time!

Do you understand this?"required attribute "ACTION" not specified"
... and more importantly, do you understand what the generic pattern "attribute X not specified for element Y" means? Tell me! Let's try to correct this before your next problem appears.