CGI (Common Gateway Interface) Back End Processing

baseballcrwf55

Are there any articles from W3Schools about CGI scripts? I want my forms to send info like username and password to a server so I can process that information with a script in like a mySQL database (so that the user can log on to their customized page in the future). I think that's right at least. Two questions: First: Where and how can I utilize a server to contain this user login info(for now)? Would I use like GoDaddy to get my own server?Second question: How would a CGI script have to be coded in order for it to process this info for later use on my website? or do I need to use PHP for that. I've heard that mentioned in conjunction with mySQL databases.I know this all sounds pretty vague, but I'm continually doing more research on the topic, just wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on the topic. This is a great site, thanks for any and all replies.

• Like 1

CGI is a pretty broad term, it doesn't refer to a specific language. A PHP script can be a CGI script. GoDaddy is one host that supports PHP on their servers, but their terms can be a little restrictive. You may have better luck with a host like Hostgator and pick a hosting package that sounds like it will have what you need. All hosting packages support PHP and MySQL, the other options are based on how big you expect the site to get.

• 4 weeks later...

PHP also runs on Windows servers. I'm not sure if you'll be able to find Windows servers that only run ASP classic, more likely they will run ASP.NET. You might be able to find some that support both ASP.NET and PHP.