Select

cve60069

Dear all I want to be able to select an item from a number of items from a drop down menu. I have created a named menu using select and option and all is working fine. However, I wish to format the selection box. I would like to remove the "drop-down" arrow in the field and I would prefer the drop-down list to appear when I hover over the selection. I would also like to keep the options for the drop-down list in an external file and reference it. Would anyone point me towards a tutorial showing me how to do this. Many thanks.

You might be looking for a CSS or Javascript navigation menu, the <select> element is only for sending form data.There are examples all over the internet. CSSplay has a whole lot of them:http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/basic_dd.htmlhttp://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/dd_valid.html If you want it animated you're going to have to rely on Javascript. I can't find a decent tutorial for one because the ones I found don't work when Javascript is disabled. You can look for "animated dropdown menu" on Google if you want it.

It would only be a problem for users who have Javascript disabled. This could happen for any number of reasons, for example a company computer. Search engine crawlers would have it difficult to find content if the page is generated with Javascript.

I'm sure most of them don't. I'm not entirely sure about Google, because they build really complicated search robots. If I was informed correctly, their search robot currently supports Flash sites.

Guest So Called

Next time I get in an experimental mood I'll add an external JS script to my site and then look at my logs to see who is actually accessing the script. I would presume if they don't read the external script that it would be because they aren't going to use it.

Thanks for the attention I am producing a form that users will fill in and then will save or print in pdf format. I need to perform calculations in javascript which will return results into the form. If javascript is disabled, I suppose the form will not work?

Guest So Called

For site visitors without JavaScript enabled you can default to an ordinary filled in form and a message that says, "print this page if you want a hard copy of ....." My contact form is set up like that. When it is validated and the email sent I update the form with all the fields read-only and have a message at the top such as I described. They can use their browser's print function.