Save for web and devices

lwerber

Is it necessary to use the "save for web and devices" function in photoshop when saving out images for the web? I'm making a portfolio website and when I save out the images of my work using "save for web and devices" the colors appear dull. When I just save them out the regular way ("save as..."), the colors appear correct in my browser, and in some cases the file size is smaller than the ones that were saves out with "save for web and devices". Is this function meant to be used for saving out photographs for the web? Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Is it necessary to use the "save for web and devices" function in photoshop when saving out images for the web? I'm making a portfolio website and when I save out the images of my work using "save for web and devices" the colors appear dull. When I just save them out the regular way ("save as..."), the colors appear correct in my browser, and in some cases the file size is smaller than the ones that were saves out with "save for web and devices". Is this function meant to be used for saving out photographs for the web? Thank you!
I read your thread just now!Yes, it certainly is necessary! Instead of a psd file, you´ ll have a PNG or GIF file! Those files can be read by every browser!

• 3 months later...
:) the confusing advice thread! Iwerber; saving for web just compresses the image and puts it into a web safe format, it's a shortcut basically, you don't have to use it. What you have to do is make sure your image is saved as a JPG, GIF or PNG and try to make the file size as small as possible for example by setting JPG image quality when you save it, experiment with a few quality settings to see what looks good.

• 1 month later...